The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:18:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A dream come true! Milford's Violin Concerto from Em...

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A dream come true! Milford's Violin Concerto from Em...  (Read 4198 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 02:01:57 pm »

Milford / Stanford Violin Concertos are being recorded on 7-9 January in Watford Colosseum with the BBC Concert Orchestra, conducted by Owain Arwel Hughes!!!

When you say the Stanford Violin Concerto, is this the Violin Concerto No.2 in G minor, op. 162 which has been orchestrated by Jeremy Dibble ???
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 02:33:11 pm »

Milford / Stanford Violin Concertos are being recorded on 7-9 January in Watford Colosseum with the BBC Concert Orchestra, conducted by Owain Arwel Hughes!!!

That's great! Hopefully the publishing/release process won't take all too long. Will it still be released on EM Records with these performers?
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 02:44:56 pm »

Yes and quickly.  Em has eight or so items in the pipeline and a new baby coming in February!
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2013, 05:07:32 pm »

how much overrated music there is by more famous composers! I am referring to Walton's 'Facade'

I am constantly surprised by the idea that the light of Unsung composers would shine more brightly, if that of others was somehow snuffed out :(

Surely if music is well-written, and deserving of attention, that is the only criterion needed to enjoy it? 

I write with a smile, and with no ill intent! :))

I happen to enjoy Facade (and in fact, I've performed it as one of two reciters - so I know the piece rather well). It's a charming musical entertainment, carefully scored, and it sets some unusual poetry in an innovative way. I don't think that Bainton, Stanford or Milford would flourish more greatly if harmless and enjoyable music by Walton were somehow stuffed away in the attic ;)

We can't always be beating our breasts about wars or prison camps - we've earned the right to celebrate the joys of peace and freedom, now and then ;)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2013, 05:29:22 pm »

how much overrated music there is by more famous composers! I am referring to Walton's 'Facade'

I am constantly surprised by the idea that the light of Unsung composers would shine more brightly, if that of others was somehow snuffed out :(

Surely if music is well-written, and deserving of attention, that is the only criterion needed to enjoy it? 

I write with a smile, and with no ill intent! :))

I happen to enjoy Facade (and in fact, I've performed it as one of two reciters - so I know the piece rather well). It's a charming musical entertainment, carefully scored, and it sets some unusual poetry in an innovative way. I don't think that Bainton, Stanford or Milford would flourish more greatly if harmless and enjoyable music by Walton were somehow stuffed away in the attic ;)

We can't always be beating our breasts about wars or prison camps - we've earned the right to celebrate the joys of peace and freedom, now and then ;)
Actually,a silly comment by me,and,now you remind me of it,one I regret. It's actually very evocative and I think I should go and have another listen to it!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 07:07:14 pm »

Apart from the fact that you don't seem to hear that much of 'Facade' these days,anyway!! Having said that,I don't think Bate,Holbrooke,Jones,Bantock,Rootham or any of the other composers frequently mentioned here would gain from less Facade,Gerontius or Billy Budd! Furthermore,having returned to my posts,just to make sure ;D,I can't see I said (or even suggested that)anyway! On the other hand,more dropping of names like Bate,Bantock,Jones,Rootham,Fricker and Gipps (amongst others) in between Britten,Birtwistle,Turnage and Elgar would even things out a little!
If I wanted to 'bash' a well known composer Walton wasn't a good example,anyway!. His Second Symphony and 'Troilus and Cressida' are a case in point. Britten would have been a better choice. Unlike Walton,I don't think the critics have ever stopped praising him. Not that I mind. I have all the famous,self conducted,Decca recordings of his own operas;I enjoy them,now and again,and I don't think that 'Riders of the Sea','Sir John in Love','Koanga','The Queen of Cornwall' or 'Troilus and Cressida',for that matter,would be heard any more often or be any more highly thought of by critics if the operas of Britten were placed under some kind of embargo!
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2013, 01:20:56 am »

Indeed, if anything, it is the existence of Elgar, Britten, Walton, etc., that remind the wider public that British people can write great music, which perception is needed if the unsungs are ever to get more attention. Great areas of continental Europe still have trouble believing in British music (though I think North America and Asia are more open-minded: one of my students has a dog named Elgar).
Report Spam   Logged
erato
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2013, 10:21:14 am »

one of my students has a dog named Elgar.
I wouldn't take that as proof.

This spring I heard a magnificent Gerontius under Gardner in Bergen, Norway. Also the War Requiem a year ago. King Olaf is on the schedule for spring 2014. V-W seems sadly underappreciated though.
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2013, 10:51:06 am »

I have come late to this discussion, and I've never heard of this record label. Can you supply me with a website address?
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 11:36:23 am »

I have come late to this discussion, and I've never heard of this record label. Can you supply me with a website address?

http://www.em-records.com/
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 03:30:53 am »

"I am constantly surprised by the idea that the light of Unsung composers would shine more brightly, if that of others was somehow snuffed out"

It's hardly going to snuff out any of the Standard Repertoire if a few of the 600, say, recordings, of a popular piece, were converted to recordings of unsung composers' works.
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2013, 08:14:20 am »

Excuse me if this has appeared on another thread, but I only just spotted it today on musicwebinternational's "concert listings" section.

'Britons Discovered'
 28th November 2013, 7.30pm at St. Sepulchre-without-Newgate, London

BRITTEN Matinées Musicales Op. 24 (Excerpts)
 DELIUS Intermezzo From Fennimore And Gerda
 MILFORD Violin Concerto
 ALWYN Symphony No. 4 (1959)

James Dickenson (violin)
 Adam Johnson (piano)
 Northern Lights Symphony Orchestra

GENEROUSLY FUNDED by Delius Trust, Milford Trust, RVW Trust and the William Alwyn Foundation

Buy Tickets Tickets - £20, £15 concessions (OAP, students and under 16’s)
 Email - info@nlso.org
 NLSO Box Office - 020 8348 1216
 St. Sepulchre Without Newgate Church
 Holborn Viaduct, London, EC1A 2DQ
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2014, 11:03:00 pm »

Milford and Stanford successfully  "in the can" and will be released in May.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 03:54:20 am »

Excellent news!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: