The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:37:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A dream come true! Milford's Violin Concerto from Em...

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A dream come true! Milford's Violin Concerto from Em...  (Read 4183 times)
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2013, 01:32:38 pm »

IMAGINE: a work of searing beauty, masterly orchestration and emotional profundity; only once heard, never recorded – lost to generations. It is this work, Robin Milford’s Violin Concerto, that the pioneering label EM Records is to resurrect, allowing its inspirational delights to be heard again at last.

Its companion work will be no less a ground-breaking recording. Stanford’s exquisite Second Violin Concerto shows the power of its composer at his most authoritative and expressive. Dramatic intensity, high virtuosity and melting lyricism combine to glorious effect in this recently-discovered treasure.

This recording will take place on 21 and 22 August 2013 at Watford Colosseum with conductor Bjorn Bantock, whose interpretations have been praised worldwide for their sincerity, commitment and integrity, and violinist Rupert Marshall-Luck, whose recent discs for EM Records have met with glowing critical acclaim.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:30:07 am by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:53:08 am »

My curiosity is peaked and I look forward to getting this when available.  Any friend of Holst and Vaughan Williams is a friend of mine.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 01:24:39 pm »

And don't forget Milford's best friend...Finzi.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 02:03:12 pm »

Marvellous news! I've been hoping for the Stanford for a while, but I wasn't even particularly aware of the Milford. From what I know of him, it should be glorious, though!
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 12:11:53 am »

http://www.englishmusicfestival.org.uk/email-bulletins/june-2013-browser.html

A new Parry disc too! And more of Em's beautiful photography.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 05:36:49 am »

Unfortunately this recording has been delayed.
Bjorn Bantock pulled out of the project after Em questioned the list of players he selected for his "professional" orchestra that were not professionals at all. And he had allotted only one rehearsal!
So, she is negotiating with a "London" orchestra. Fingers crossed!
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 11:30:27 am »

The BBC Concert Orchestra will record these pieces in January at Watford.
Very good news!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 02:37:16 pm »

Indeed it is! Thanks for the information - it would have been a severe disappointment to have had anything less than a professional orchestra for the Milford and Stanford concertos, as these works (like most non-standard repertoire) are unlikely to get a second bite of the cherry.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 05:32:39 pm »

Not official yet, but the conductor will probably have the initials MY. ;)
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 08:03:33 am »

Didn't Milford write a Symphony which Vaughan Williams thought highly of? I love the CD of his music on Hyperion. Gentle, eloquent music and ideal late-night listening.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 08:28:49 am »

Yes, there is a symphony. Reconstruction is under way. Score is a real mess!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 04:44:02 pm »

I shall be very keen to hear the Milford Symphony if that is possible. If it is released on cd one day in the future I shall certainly buy it.

....but, I do have to say, that when I read the word "reconstruction" there is something in me which needs to point out that there are a lot of symphonies out there(many of which are by composers also admired by Vaughan Williams ;D) which do NOT need reconstruction, their scores are not "a mess", but are being ignored by the record companies.

We have had reconstructions of the second Moeran symphony, the Cyril Scott early Piano and Cello concertos, now the early Bax symphony. Some(maybe all?) of this work is worthwhile but......
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 06:17:09 pm »

Remember, the Bax is not a reconstruction. It is finished complete in Bax's hand in short score. It just had to be orchestrated using Bax's full score of two pages and comments throughout.
So I think we get real Bax. He just quit on it after a years work because he was sure it would never get performed. In later life I think he held a soft spot for it but could not work up the energy to orchestrate so large a work.
Also, any Moeran wherever it comes from is better than almost anyone else!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 07:12:05 pm »

I take the point about the Bax :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 09:36:15 pm »

I shall be very keen to hear the Milford Symphony if that is possible. If it is released on cd one day in the future I shall certainly buy it.

....but, I do have to say, that when I read the word "reconstruction" there is something in me which needs to point out that there are a lot of symphonies out there(many of which are by composers also admired by Vaughan Williams ;D) which do NOT need reconstruction, their scores are not "a mess", but are being ignored by the record companies.

We have had reconstructions of the second Moeran symphony, the Cyril Scott early Piano and Cello concertos, now the early Bax symphony. Some(maybe all?) of this work is worthwhile but......
It does feel like one of those announcements you hear of remakes of classic Hollywood movies! ??? :(
 Yesterday,I had a listen to that wonderful Chandos cd of symphonies by Bainton & Clifford. Marvellous stuff! The Bainton Second is a bit like a Bax symphony with a bit of Moeran thrown into the mix. I paricularly love that majestic,'stamping' theme which pounds in now & again. The Clifford Symphony 1940 is exhilarating. It just sweeps you along! (And the short Gough piece is not bad,either!) The booklet includes a poignant note by Hugh Clifford's daughter Sue Hawkes,describing how it had been her brothers great wish to have their fathers music,and particularly the symphony,recorded. Sadly,he died before that happened!
My point is,these were two composers who,unlike Bax or Moeran,for example,were completely forgotten,and who composed concert music of quality;not a note of which,as far as I am aware,had ever been recorded commercially. This is the kind of release that would send me rifling excitedly through the pages of Gramophone to the ad page of a small recording label like Chandos! And this is only one example! Now,when I look through the forthcoming release schedules of cd labels,the cynic in me is asking,what new recording of a reconstruction of a score by a composer whose major works have all been recorded already,awaits me? In fact,it has now got to the stage where the thought of someone unearthing yet another immature,incomplete or sock drawer style cast off by Elgar,VW,Moeran,Bax et al,fills me with dread! Everytime I hear about a premiere recording of a reconstruction or completion (or whatever) I feel like one of those hapless characters in those awful tv soaps,who when presented with a particularly harrowing piece of bad news,bawl," Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!" I even feel an urge to go down on my hands and knees and beg these people not to look.........just in case another incomplete 'nugget' pops up from some long forgotten nook!! :o :(

Milford isn't quite in that category,of course;and the Bax Symphony does sound very intriguing.....and moaning aside, it may even be the subject of a pre-order,from yours truly,shock horror!!  Having said that,I do shudder to think just how many reconstructions and incomplete scores we have to endure before something by a composer who is completely ignored,like Daniel Jones,Fricker,Wordsworth,Gaze Cooper,perhaps or something from the vast output of Joseph Holbrooke (I was enjoying that lovely 'Aucassin and Nicolette' cd the other night!) finally appears from the recording sessions of one of those small cd labels?!

Moaning aside;your announcement is obviously extremely good news for admirers of Robin Milford and I hope the recording of the VC is a great success! Thank you very much for telling us about it,tapiola.

And,meanwhile, I'm going to have sort out this keyboard! (There are two more in the back room!!) I thought this would be better. No excuse for my hopeless typing,of course. Blame the tool,eh?!! (I'm much happier with old fashioned pen & paper,to be honest!)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: