The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:07:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Robert Simpson Cello Concerto

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Robert Simpson Cello Concerto  (Read 3098 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 03:28:31 pm »

A tripling I'd have vastly preferred over this one (at least in anticipation) would be comprised of 
Concertos by William Wordsworth, Arthur Butterworth, & Wilfred Josephs. 

Oh....how I DO agree with you(although I would have kept the Simpson, as you would guess :)).

Since however the Joubert and Wright were written specifically for Raphael Wallfisch he obviously is keen to record them. Joubert is a substantial composer. Christopher Wright on the other hand is-no doubt-a worthy composer but why he gets more exposure than, for example, Wordsworth or Josephs I do not know.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 03:44:13 pm »

Actually....I am strongly tempted to send Raphael Wallfisch the links on here to the Cooke, Wordsworth, Jones and Josephs cello concertos(breaking the rules I know ::))

It is perfectly possible that he has never actually heard them. If he likes what he hears he may be more inspired to press one of the record companies into a recording ???
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 04:19:23 pm »

I would think these concertos would be right up Wallfisch's alley, but, like you say, he has probably never heard them. So, sending him the links might not be a bad idea....
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 11:36:19 pm »

Wallfisch recorded Wordsworth's chamber music for cello solo and with piano accompaniment for the British Music Society label. (In fact, he must have recorded the Sonata op. 66 twice! I have an earlier recording from a broadcast.) Therefore one can assume that he is at least aware of the Wordsworth Cello Concerto. In case you should write to RW, Colin, I would be very interested to hear his reply!
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2013, 05:33:20 am »

From William Boughton's website:
December 11th-14th 2013
BBC National Orchestra of Wales
Raphael Wallfisch

Recording Simpson, Joubert and Christopher Wright Cello Concerto's
Report Spam   Logged