The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:55:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

the dark side of YT "grandness"

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the dark side of YT "grandness"  (Read 1945 times)
dyn
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 06:50:27 am »

I suspect this may be an unpopular view around here, but i believe that the already-flawed concept of "intellectual property" should not be appropriated by agencies other than the creator for profit. Thus, i will buy music directly from the composer/performer if that is an option, but not from record companies or publishers or the composer's estate. Though pirating commercial records has a negligible effect on music profits (in fact, none, as nothing is actually being stolen), i do it anyway in the hope of undermining the music industry so that it can be replaced with a more fair system, one that favours creators and artists, not wealthy executives and marketers. (In a typical recording contract the composer may make as much as 7 cents per $15 CD sold!) I believe creative works should enter the public domain immediately upon the death of the creator, and hope most creators will have the foresight to release at least some of their works under e.g. CC or some other form of copyleft during their lifetimes.

With all that out of the way... i like to rant the quality of the audio on youtube is typically too low to make it a good substitute for even an mp3 download, let alone a cd/flac. YT is no substitute for a high quality recording. It does work well as free advertising for classical composers/performers, although i feel it works better at this when used to publish videos of works that have been made commercially available in multiple versions already, since the classical audience is less likely to be satisfied with just a single recording of a composition.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: