The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:17:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

the dark side of YT "grandness"

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the dark side of YT "grandness"  (Read 1929 times)
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2013, 04:30:17 pm »

One aspect that seems to have been forgotten here is advertising.  YT is the greatest tool available to advertise commercially available CDs of unsung composers by posting one or two of the works on it, or to enlighten potential customers about the existence of CDs from difficult-to-access sources.  This actually constitutes free advertising, which is nothing to shake a stick at.

After having read the article, there seems to be two issues at work here.  I consider YT to be no more dangerous to commercial CD sales than radio was to LP, or even 45 single sales in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.  Same thing - broadcasting stuff to the general public for free that was available for them to own if they purchased the single or entire album.  If somebody wanted to own it for next to nothing, they could record the performance off the radio with a cassette recorder, or perhaps rig their radio to record stuff.  It was doable even back then.

Recording live concerts and posting them on YT, on the other hand can scuttle potential recording projects, and that IS damaging. 

Perhaps I'm a bit out of step with contemporary practices?  If I truly love a piece of music I will leave no stone unturned to get my hands on a professionally performed and produced commercial recording. I have discovered much wonderful music through this and similar sites (and yes, youtube as well).  But my vast collection of downloads are never more viewed by me as more than interim measures, hopefully to be eventually replaced by professionally produced recordings.

Case study: one of my great discoveries of recent years has been the music of Mikhail Nosyrev, which I initially downloaded from, yes, youtube.  At the first opportunity, however, I replaced my downloaded versions of the first two symphonies with the Arkiv reissue (of the very same original Olympia recordings), and I will do the same with the third and forth as soon as Arkiv gets around to reissuing them or I can find a decently priced used copy of the Olympia disc.

Nobody, I think, is out royalties or profits or income as a result of my downloading activities since downloading will never prevent me from purchasing the first commercially available recording to come along.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: