The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:10:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ukrainian Music

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ukrainian Music  (Read 11075 times)
guest224
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2016, 08:50:10 pm »

Thank you so much to Stefan (Carpaccio.Espagnol) for his youtube channel of Ukrainian music.  I particularly liked the recording by violinist Abram Shtern of the Adagio of Mavka and Lukash from Song of the Forest ballet by Mykhailo Skorulskyi (1887-1950). So I have converted it to mp3; and I also did some digging around and found some more youtube clips, all recordings of live performances of the ballets. I have also converted these to mp3 and put in the downloads section.  Lovely harmonious atmospheric music, with hints of Khachaturian (who was actually 17 years younger).
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2016, 09:12:10 pm »

I've come across another Ukrainian composer on youtube whose piano concerto has Rachmaninovian movements, and is melodic, harmonious and late-romantic throughout. All the more surprising therefore when I found that his dates were 1926-1988 which lies well outside the date range of composers whose music I like.  His name is Yury Znatokov, from Odessa.  I have posted up his Piano Concerto No.1, Violin Concerto No.1 (in memory of Aram Khachaturian), and fragments from his ballets "The Triumph of Love" and "The Princess Volkonskaya".
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2016, 12:21:02 am »

I've come across another Ukrainian composer on youtube whose piano concerto has Rachmaninovian movements, and is melodic, harmonious and late-romantic throughout. All the more surprising therefore when I found that his dates were 1926-1988 which lies well outside the date range of composers whose music I like.  His name is Yury Znatokov, from Odessa.  I have posted up his Piano Concerto No.1, Violin Concerto No.1 (in memory of Aram Khachaturian), and fragments from his ballets "The Triumph of Love" and "The Princess Volkonskaya".

Dear Christopher
You can contact conductor Znatokov Jr. here:
https://www.facebook.com/znatokov?fref=ts
Best
Report Spam   Logged
gpdlt2000
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2016, 03:23:08 pm »

Thank you so much to Stefan (Carpaccio.Espagnol) for his youtube channel of Ukrainian music.  I particularly liked the recording by violinist Abram Shtern of the Adagio of Mavka and Lukash from Song of the Forest ballet by Mykhailo Skorulskyi (1887-1950). So I have converted it to mp3; and I also did some digging around and found some more youtube clips, all recordings of live performances of the ballets. I have also converted these to mp3 and put in the downloads section.  Lovely harmonious atmospheric music, with hints of Khachaturian (who was actually 17 years younger).

Could you please indicate the right order for the complete Song of the Forests ballet?
Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2016, 05:55:45 pm »

Could you please indicate the right order for the complete Song of the Forests ballet?
Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

It's a collection of clips taken from youtube, I don't know the order I'm afraid.  Do you enjoy the music?
Report Spam   Logged
gpdlt2000
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2016, 02:38:47 pm »

@Christopher

This is beautiful music indeed. Somehow, it reminded me of Glière's ballet music.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2016, 09:42:38 pm »

@Christopher

This is beautiful music indeed. Somehow, it reminded me of Glière's ballet music.

It is beautiful isn't it.... I keep listening to it over and over.  Which Gliere music in particular does it remind you of? I would love to listen/   Of course, Gliere was a fellow Ukrainian.

There is actually a full(-ish) Melodiya-label recording om LP from 1971, with Boris Chistiakov conducting the Orchestra of the Kyiv Opera and Balet Theatre.  (Melodiya-D-029901—2)

If anyone has it, please do post up!  (If you are in London, I can do an LP to CD/mp3 transfer for you!)

The record cover looks like this:

Report Spam   Logged
gpdlt2000
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2016, 01:39:02 pm »

It does remind me of Glière's ballet music, specifically The red poppy and The bronze horseman - at least in some numbers.
Thanks for your offering, but I'm afraid I am rather far from London (South America, as a matter of fact).
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2016, 07:21:40 pm »

It does remind me of Glière's ballet music, specifically The red poppy and The bronze horseman - at least in some numbers.
Thanks for your offering, but I'm afraid I am rather far from London (South America, as a matter of fact).

So you have this LP?
Report Spam   Logged
Corentin Boissier
Level 2

Times thanked: 9

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2016, 01:42:58 pm »

Hello everyone !
WARNING : The audio file of Vitaly Gubarenko's "Symphony No. 1" (posted on 1st June 2013) contains four times the last movement of this symphony "Allegro vivo" (8 minutes 25 seconds x 4) !!!
So the first three movements (1 Moderato ; 2 Allegretto ; 3 Andante) are missing !

Corentin Boissier (collectionCB, collectionCB2, collectionCB3 & collectionCB4)
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2016, 03:51:18 pm »

I'll check that... I still have the recording on cassette tape from the original LP. 
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2016, 04:01:59 am »

actually there are 4 movements.. Moderato; Allegretto; Andante;  and Allegro vivo

The conductor is Igor Blazhkov with the Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra..
Report Spam   Logged
Corentin Boissier
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2016, 09:09:30 pm »

actually there are 4 movements.. Moderato; Allegretto; Andante;  and Allegro vivo

The conductor is Igor Blazhkov with the Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra..
Yes, of course I know that this symphony is in four movements, and I know their titles, as well as the conductor and the orchestra !!! I just said that your audio file (which lasts 33:35) contains four times the 4th movement (8:24).
So please re-upload the symphony, with its four movements (total duration : 32 minutes).
Musically,
Corentin Boissier
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2016, 04:27:04 pm »

Ok I see what I did.. forgot to flip the cassette while transferring to mediafire..    I'll redo it soon.

Thanks
Dave
Report Spam   Logged
Corentin Boissier
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2016, 05:18:53 pm »

Ok I see what I did.. forgot to flip the cassette while transferring to mediafire..    I'll redo it soon.

I hope you'll soon re-upload this symphony with its four different movements :-)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: