The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:22:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ukrainian Music

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ukrainian Music  (Read 11086 times)
theqbar
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 11:16:01 am »

A. Shtogarenko
In Memory of the Ukrainian Forests (in five movements)

I think that the name of this suite is "In memory of Lesya Ukrainka". Lesya Ukrainka is the pseudonym of a poet from Ukraine, though if you translate literally her name it can mean "Ukrainian Forests"   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesya_Ukrainka
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 02:50:20 pm »

A. Shtogarenko

I think that the name of this suite is "In memory of Lesya Ukrainka". Lesya Ukrainka is the pseudonym of a poet from Ukraine, though if you translate literally her name it can mean "Ukrainian Forests"   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesya_Ukrainka

Is there a link to a download of this?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 03:04:22 pm »

A. Shtogarenko

Is there a link to a download of this?

Yes....on Page 2 of the download thread.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 12:56:45 pm by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 11:46:49 pm »

wow !!!   60 downloads so far on the Dominchen Sym No 1....!!  so far that is the most downloaded
Enjoy

Dave
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 09:49:31 am »

VLADIMIR ZOLOTUKHIN  (1936-1996, UKRAINE)

Concert Overture
  Symphony No. 1 (1970)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gkp8zbimgzoez0i

Vadim Gnedash (cond),  Ukrainian Radio Television Symphony Orchestra

Soure: MELODIYA SM 03943-4 (LP) (1973)

Zolotukhin seems to have survived his distinction as People's Artist of Ukraine (1996) ;D He actually lived until 2010.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 11:05:10 pm »

Ukrainian music is tragically unsung and should be promoted much more, there is a treasure trove to sample here:
http://classical-music-online.net/stat/?person_type=composer&type=country_persons&country=UKR
For one of the most aggregiously unsungs, try the fascinating cycle of symphonies by Levko Kolodub (B.1930), his french horn concerto is an unforgettable statement!
http://classical-music-online.net/en/composer/Kolodub/8079

Roger, have you heard any of Andrei Shtogarenko's (or Shtoharenko) music? He's composed some wonderful, tonal music in a lyrical/dramatic style rather akin to his fellow Ukrainian Lyatoshinsky (I assume you know his music). Lots of it is on YouTube.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 02:32:43 pm »

A moment ago I posted three concerti by:

Alëna Tomljonova (b 1981) is an Ukraine composer. You will also find her with Aliona as first name. This is how her name is pronounced.
The works are all taken from an all Tomlionova concert evening, broadcasted two years later (2007). For your  convenience I placed the concertos individually.
Miss Tomljonova had her 5th Symphony premiered this year.

Chamber Orchestra of the Odessa Philharmonic
Conductor Igor Shavryk
The soloists are unknown.
The concierto took place in the aula of the Museum for Literature in Odessa (2205).
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 07:42:38 pm »

Thanks for all the links, Roelof. One little correction has to be made: Tomlionova is much older, she wasn't born in 1981 but in 1963. The conductor of the Fifth Symphony must also be Igor Shavruk. I checked the YouTube video of the symphony (which really shows orchestra and conductor in action) and compared it to pictures of Shavruk: that's him.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 11:24:37 pm »

Thanks, Holger
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 04:48:23 pm »

A moment ago I posted three concerti by:

Alëna Tomljonova (b 1981) is an Ukraine composer. You will also find her with Aliona as first name. This is how her name is pronounced.
The works are all taken from an all Tomlionova concert evening, broadcasted two years later (2007). For your  convenience I placed the concertos individually.
Miss Tomljonova had her 5th Symphony premiered this year.

Chamber Orchestra of the Odessa Philharmonic
Conductor Igor Shavryk
The soloists are unknown.
The concierto took place in the aula of the Museum for Literature in Odessa (2205).

Thank you , Mr. E. Another new name !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest224
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 06:01:48 pm »

Malcolm Henbury-Ballan (MHBallan on here) has been kind enough to send me his DAT-format cassette on which this Lyrical Intermezzo was recorded, together with a number of other Bortkiewicz works (see below).  I have transferred them to MP3 format and put in the Downloads section. According to Malcolm all come from the archives of Austrian Radio and were recorded in the 1940s and 1950s.  I hope you enjoy.  Many thanks to Malcolm! Both Ukraine and Russia can claim Bortkiewicz, so I have put these recordings in the downloads sections for both countries!

Des Frühlings und des Pans Erwachen - ein lyrisches Intermezzo nach Gemälden von Sandro Botticelli, Op.44

Aus der Kinderzeit, Op.39 - arr. string orchestra

Im 3/4 Takt

Overture to a Fairytale Opera, Op.53

Elegie, Op.46 arr. cello & piano

Berceuse for violin & piano

Piano Concerto No.1 in B♭ major, Op.16

Piano Sonata No.2 in C♯ minor, Op.60

Etude No.6, Op.15

The arrangements are the composer's own.
Report Spam   Logged
guest619
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 06:43:46 pm »

Hello everyone.  I am new to the forum (and just discovered it today).

I started a YouTube channel featuring works of composers from Ukraine which were not already on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzGcjCdjL7Xaj8MoaAQi3IA
There are works by Yarovinsky (Symphony #2), Znosko-Borovsky (violin concerto and chamber works), Podvala (violin concerto and piano quartet), Filippenko (chamber works) and many others.  In addition, there are seemingly new works of significance posted every week on other channels, and I add them to the "Liked" section.  For example Simovych symphonies 4,5,7 have been added in last two weeks.

I have been uploading works from my own collection and others found online in the deep pockets of the Internet.  I am pleased to find new materials in this forum and thank everyone for their contribution.  I also have sheet music and access to a variety of sheet music through a local library which hosts a huge variety of Ukrainian works.  

Regards,
Stefan

Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2016, 04:55:50 am »

Hello everyone.  I am new to the forum (and just discovered it today).

I started a YouTube channel featuring works of composers from Ukraine which were not already on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzGcjCdjL7Xaj8MoaAQi3IA
There are works by Yarovinsky (Symphony #2), Znosko-Borovsky (violin concerto and chamber works), Podvala (violin concerto and piano quartet), Filippenko (chamber works) and many others.  In addition, there are seemingly new works of significance posted every week on other channels, and I add them to the "Liked" section.  For example Simovych symphonies 4,5,7 have been added in last two weeks.

I have been uploading works from my own collection and others found online in the deep pockets of the Internet.  I am pleased to find new materials in this forum and thank everyone for their contribution.  I also have sheet music and access to a variety of sheet music through a local library which hosts a huge variety of Ukrainian works.  

Regards,
Stefan

Welcome to the group !!!
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2016, 05:31:18 pm »

I've posted up a complete recording of Viktor Kosenko's piano concerto, which he wrote in 1928.  A recording of the first movement of this piece was posted up here a few years ago I think (with Arthur Nikulin, and the Academic Symphonic Orchestra of Lviv Philharmonic Society under Dmytro Logvin) and quite a few people liked it as I recall, possibly as it's very Rachmaninovian. 

I have also posted up a concert recording of Kosenko's Dawn Poem (orchestrated by Levko Kolodub, a twentieth century Ukrainian composer).
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 11:31:14 pm »

I've posted up a recording of Mykola Lysenko's "Meni Odnakovo", a musical setting for tenor and orchestra of the poem of the same name, which means "It makes no difference to me", by Ukraine's greatest poet Taras Shevchenko.

It is a real cry from the heart, a howl of anguish and rage, at the state of his homeland Ukraine.  The sentiments expressed would not have been liked at all by the tsarist or communist regimes (and not by the current regime in the Kremlin one suspects). And in this performance the great Ivan Koslovsky, himself Ukrainian, gives it his all. It is beautiful and devastating.

It Makes No Difference To Me

It makes no difference to me,
If I shall live or not in Ukraine
Or whether any one shall think
Of me 'mid foreign snow and rain.
It makes no difference to me.

In slavery I grew 'mid strangers,
Unwept by any kin of mine;
In slavery I now will die
And vanish without any sign.
I shall not leave the slightest trace
Upon our glorious Ukraine,