The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:03:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Knudåge Riisager (1897-1974): Symphonic Edition, Vol. 2 from Dacapo

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knudåge Riisager (1897-1974): Symphonic Edition, Vol. 2 from Dacapo  (Read 3814 times)
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 01:57:04 pm »

Ironically, Riisager once stated: the symphony is dead... long live music! And he went on to compose five symphonies. But not Nielsenian ones, indeed.

DaCapo is right to record these works, but I wish they also recorded Svend Schulz's symphonies, or the remaining four by Ebbe Hamerik.

or those by Svend-Erik Tarp.
You are right. I selfishly forgot to name him, several of his symphonies having been uploaded here! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 11:13:53 pm »

Well Riisager was always best known for his light music. I'm looking forward to hearing what he did when intending to tackle more serious forms.
You mean he made the unpardonable sin of writing "light music"? Oh my, he should have known better(he says with tongue in cheek).
This sort of label follows a fine composer, Edward German (oh, but he was British wasn't he?). He should also be taken seriously.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 03:33:21 am »

Ironically, Riisager once stated: the symphony is dead... long live music! And he went on to compose five symphonies. But not Nielsenian ones, indeed.

DaCapo is right to record these works, but I wish they also recorded Svend Schulz's symphonies, or the remaining four by Ebbe Hamerik.
I would compare Riisager to Milhaud in his general style, uneven inspiration and unpredicability(quirkiness is appropriate), but these 3 new symphonies may give you second thought about DeCapo's judgement.
Tragically, it seems that his most bland and trivial works are the most popularized. I for one, am deeply appreciative that Decapo recorded these works, they are masterfully orchestrated and chock full of delights.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 10:33:56 pm »

You are absolutely ON TARGET There!! Tarp is in very short supply!! Is there a Tarp catalogue.?
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 02:07:03 am »

You are absolutely ON TARGET There!! Tarp is in very short supply!! Is there a Tarp catalogue.?

Lazy me, found that here:
http://gulabin.com/composers/pdf/SVEND-ERIK%20TARP.pdf
some very delectable music awaiting us!!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: