The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:49:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Knudåge Riisager (1897-1974): Symphonic Edition, Vol. 2 from Dacapo

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knudåge Riisager (1897-1974): Symphonic Edition, Vol. 2 from Dacapo  (Read 3813 times)
kyjo
« on: May 17, 2013, 10:14:01 pm »

The long-awaited second volume in Dacapo's Riisager Symphonic Edition is due out shortly:

T-DOXC (poème mécanique) for orchestra, op. 13 (1926); Symphony no. 2, op. 14 (1927); Concerto for Orchestra, op. 24 (1931); Concert Overture Primavera, op. 31 (1934); Sinfonia (Symphony no. 3), op. 30 (1935); Aarhus SO/Bo Holten

http://www.dacapo-records.dk/en/recording-knudage-riisager-the-symphonic-edition-vol-2.aspx

Riisager's witty, quirky and unique music often has a Gallic tinge to it that sets it apart from the dark, Nordic sound worlds of Nielsen and Holmboe. It shall be interesting to further explore what Riisager can do in the symphonic medium!

:)

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 01:51:10 pm »

The long-awaited second volume in Dacapo's Riisager Symphonic Edition is due out shortly:

T-DOXC (poème mécanique) for orchestra, op. 13 (1926); Symphony no. 2, op. 14 (1927); Concerto for Orchestra, op. 24 (1931); Concert Overture Primavera, op. 31 (1934); Sinfonia (Symphony no. 3), op. 30 (1935); Aarhus SO/Bo Holten

http://www.dacapo-records.dk/en/recording-knudage-riisager-the-symphonic-edition-vol-2.aspx

Riisager's witty, quirky and unique music often has a Gallic tinge to it that sets it apart from the dark, Nordic sound worlds of Nielsen and Holmboe. It shall be interesting to further explore what Riisager can do in the symphonic medium!

:)

I could almost buy it for the artwork!
Interestingly,when I mentioned Knudage Riisager,at the GMG forum;for some reason his name seemed to create a lot of mirth! So,that was the end of that!! :(

My own name is probably funnier! ::) :( :-X
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 03:24:49 pm »

A sad commentary on the mentality of SOME members of that august forum ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 05:24:28 pm »

Actually,it was a bit annoying! Nothing wrong with a bit of humour,and,yes I can see what they mean;but when the only replies you can get are jokes about someones name! ::) >:( And let's face it! Maybe some of our names sound funny to Danish people (although I note that he was born in Estonia!).
Thankfully there are allot of very interesting people there;but I can see what you mean at times!

PS: I'm such a misery,aren't I?!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 10:50:53 pm »

Actually,it was a bit annoying! Nothing wrong with a bit of humour,and,yes I can see what they mean;but when the only replies you can get are jokes about someones name! ::) >:( And let's face it! Maybe some of our names sound funny to Danish people (although I note that he was born in Estonia!).
Thankfully there are allot of very interesting people there;but I can see what you mean at times!

Never, and at no time!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 11:55:28 am »

Never, and at no time!
Thank you BranA. That's nice to know!
So,on with the serious debates about Knudage Riisager!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 02:28:18 pm »

I do not think-on present evidence-that Riisager was a major talent. His music is quirky, less typically Danish, more obviously influenced by Stravinsky or the French composers than, say, the infintely greater Holmboe or, at least the early, Niels Viggo Bentzon.

An interesting composer, no doubt, and one worth Dacapo's revival exercise. I just wish that they had gone back to continue their exploration of the music of Paul von Klenau-certainly much more to my taste at least.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 04:36:08 pm »

I do not think-on present evidence-that Riisager was a major talent. His music is quirky, less typically Danish, more obviously influenced by Stravinsky or the French composers than, say, the infintely greater Holmboe or, at least the early, Niels Viggo Bentzon.

An interesting composer, no doubt, and one worth Dacapo's revival exercise. I just wish that they had gone back to continue their exploration of the music of Paul von Klenau-certainly much more to my taste at least.
Have you heard all the available symphonies,Dundonnell? I seem to remember David Hurwitz raves about his music on Classics Today. Not that I ever,really take much notice of him .................but he usually just rants! ;D I also seem to recall very enthusiastic reviews for the Dacapo 'Benzin' ballet cd,the one with the plot about the motorcyclist who has run out of gasoline (hence the name) and the cartoon like sleeve artwork. I was sorely tempted by that one. However!!! I downloaded some cheap tracks from a much earlier release & I must admit I was a bit disappointed. It sounded a bit 'samey' to me. A bit like that witty kind of french music that seems to twitter away,endlessly. It sounds nice at first,but after a while the fingers start twiddling towards the cd drawer release button.
The Hungarian,Laszlo Lajtha is another one. Some lovely,clean textured orchestration doesn't compensate for a dearth of memorable ideas & tunes!
Having said that,maybe I just downloaded some of Riisager's worst music,or wasn't in the right mood?!!

Must say,I do love dacapos choice of artwork for these releases. Very eye catching. If I saw that in a record shop (if I can still find one) I'd be picking it up to see what it was!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 05:22:14 pm »

Well there is only one symphony available to date  ;D but I do have the rest of the Riisager issued on cd and I would tend to agree with you. Pleasant enough music but no more than that.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 07:12:24 am »

Well Riisager was always best known for his light music. I'm looking forward to hearing what he did when intending to tackle more serious forms.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 04:14:52 pm »

Well Riisager was always best known for his light music. I'm looking forward to hearing what he did when intending to tackle more serious forms.
Fair play to the man,eh! :) And the same goes for Don Gillis..............but wait a minute?!! He composed an ambitious cycle of symphonies,and they're in my cd collection!!! :o ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 05:19:24 pm »

Any comments on this disc now that it has been out for some time and Vol. 3 of the Riisager cycle will shortly be released by Dacapo ???

I am rather ambivalent about the music. It is quirky, not at all unpleasant in a chirpy, neo-classical meets 1920s/30s modernism sort of way but not a patch on a contemporary Dane like Holmboe or, as a symphonist, Koppel.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 10:17:59 pm »

I agree with the original post by Kyjo in that Riisager's music is witty, quirky and unique music .
It may be a mixed bag, but you never know what to expect and for that reason, I find it very interesting.
I may be a rebel here, but I am eager to hear his symphonic works..apparently the Danes like him..
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 10:39:02 pm »

Ironically, Riisager once stated: the symphony is dead... long live music! And he went on to compose five symphonies. But not Nielsenian ones, indeed.

DaCapo is right to record these works, but I wish they also recorded Svend Schulz's symphonies, or the remaining four by Ebbe Hamerik.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 10:58:53 pm »

Ironically, Riisager once stated: the symphony is dead... long live music! And he went on to compose five symphonies. But not Nielsenian ones, indeed.

DaCapo is right to record these works, but I wish they also recorded Svend Schulz's symphonies, or the remaining four by Ebbe Hamerik.

or those by Svend-Erik Tarp.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: