The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:21:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

U of Rochester - Sibley Library

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U of Rochester - Sibley Library  (Read 1302 times)
guest377
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:38:44 pm »

Sibley Library has some of the most diverse scores in the US.   They are currently in process of scanning them to pdf format and can be down loaded for free.   These are scores that are out of copyright and in the public domain.    There are however,  several of the 1880-1920 era Russian Composers and some Soviet that are available. 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 05:29:59 am »

Is this archive accessible to the public, or do you have to be a member of the faculty, or an accredited academic? ;)
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 04:40:52 pm »

no you can just go here are type in what you are looking for:

https://urresearch.rochester.edu/viewInstitutionalCollection.action;jsessionid=5975AD7A55B9F7173E997FF7DBCF9C90?collectionId=63

they also have a weekly update you can sign  up for that tells you what they uploaded this week.
For example,  one that I thought was interesting was Gretchanov's Quartet:
https://urresearch.rochester.edu/institutionalPublicationPublicView.action?institutionalItemId=26680&versionNumber=1

you can also email for help and they will send you the link for the piece you are looking for.
just remember that up to about 1929  is in public domain... after that you have to request from your local library.. interlibrary loan.
Dave
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 05:55:03 pm »

Many thanks for this link, Dave. There are a large number of interesting scores at Sibley which have not yet made it onto IMSLP, so the sites are complementary.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest377
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 06:30:59 pm »

I believe they have one of the largest music libraries in North America .. I think the British Library and USA Library of Congress may be bigger but you have to almost go there in person to get copies.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 08:05:39 pm »

no you can just go here are type in what you are looking for

Thanks for this extremely helpful link, Dave :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 04:09:02 pm »

https://urresearch.rochester.edu/browseCollectionPersonNames.action?rowStart=0&startPageNumber=1&currentPageNumber=1&sortElement=lastName&sortType=asc&selectedAlpha=A&collectionId=63

here is the alpha listing.... its long...
Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 11:57:07 pm »

Back when Ruth Watanabe was librarian, the library was accommodating to young musicians. Lately it's been different. I have been asking them for years to scan their copy of Arthur Shepherd's ca. 1919 Violin Sonata, which I saw in their stacks. No response, not even a no. Yet they scan other things that won't be available until 2040 or later.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 03:19:50 am »

Back when Ruth Watanabe was librarian, the library was accommodating to young musicians. Lately it's been different. I have been asking them for years to scan their copy of Arthur Shepherd's ca. 1919 Violin Sonata, which I saw in their stacks. No response, not even a no. Yet they scan other things that won't be available until 2040 or later.

it may be in the works... here is the piano sonata:
k to: http://hdl.handle.net/1802/19195
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 03:52:38 pm »

Buried deep in the archives of the digital library is piano music from the following Rimsky-Korsakov students:

Aizberg,
Akimenko,
Amani,
Arensky,
Armshgeimer,
Artsybushev,
Asaf'yev,
M. Balanchivadze,

F. Blumenfeld,

N. TCherepnin,
Darzins,
Davidovsky,