The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:32:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

EMF 2013

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EMF 2013  (Read 2931 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 01:13:47 am »

Re: Walford Davies 2nd.
A decision to record is pending the performance of the work at the EMF.
Seems Martin Yates may not be quite convinced as of now. Also, no new Dutton releases before fall. :-[

The David Matthews Symphony No.7 was recorded by Dutton on 19 July 2011 with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra under John Carewe.

If what you are saying is correct-and I am sure that it is :) - then the Matthews will be on Dutton's shelves for over two years before we get to hear it >:(

What are they waiting for ???  Matthews to compose something else with which to couple the symphony ??? ??? That is an absurd proposition given Dutton's track record of coupling works by different composers.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 11:26:10 am »

Here is Rob Barnett's review of the opening concert (Friday 24th May) -

http://www.seenandheard-international.com/2013/05/26/english-music-triumphant-in-premiere-and-revival-at-dorchester-on-thames/

He was clearly very impressed by the Walford Davies Symphony and I'm sure that many of us will be eagerly looking forward to the broadcast of the concert in June. Even if Dutton do not go ahead with a commercial disc, I will make sure that a high-quality off-air recording is available through the archive.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 01:07:23 pm »

What occurs to me after reading this review is that if conductors like Martyn Brabbins and Martin Yates were the Music Directors of BBC regional orchestras (rather than importing-yes, very talented, young East Europeans) we would have a lot more such British music being regularly broadcast by the BBC ::)
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2013, 01:08:04 pm »

Based on that review, I'd Dutton will quickly record it while the iron is hot.  I look for a release in the October so the wait will not be long!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: