The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:13:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Israeli Music

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Israeli Music  (Read 1042 times)
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2015, 09:14:04 pm »

Music of Menachem Avidom

Menahem Avidom presenting Albert Einstein a copy of his symphony no. 2 "David" during a tour of the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra to the U.S.A, around 1949

From the collection of Karl Miller

Symphony No. 1: "A Folk Symphony"
Kol Israel Orchestra
Heinz Freudenthal, Conductor
Radio broadcast, date unknown

Symphony No. 5: "The Song of Eilat"
(Signal loss at beginning)
Soprano, unidentified
Kol Israel Orchestra
George Singer, Conductor
[Broadcast 25 February 1962]

Bio from National Library of Israel:
Menahem Avidom
 Menahem Avidom, born 6 January 1908 (as Mahler-Kalkstein) in Stanislav, Russia (then Hungary), died 5 August 1995 in Tel Aviv, Israel.

Israeli Composer. His mother was a cousin of Gustav Mahler. He studied at the American University in Beirut and at the Paris Conservatoire where his teachers included the composer Henri Rabaud. In 1925 Avidom immigrated to Palestine where he taught at the Music Teacher Training College in Tel Aviv and at the Tel Aviv Conservatory. Avidom was also a music critic, general secretary of the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra (1946-52), adviser on the arts to the Ministry of Tourism (1952-55), chair of the Israel Composers’ League (1958-71) and general director of ACUM, the Israeli Performing Rights Society (1955-80). Avidom composed orchestral, chamber and piano music, operas and songs. After writing in an impressionist style he turned towards atonal composition. While studying in Beirut and during a four-year stay in Egypt, however, he became deeply influenced by Mediterranean and Asian folk music and French culture. These influences found their expression in arrangements for the Yemenite singer Bracha Zefira (1939). In the early 1960s Avidom was Influenced by the international trends and turned to 12- tones technique.

Among his works:
· Concerto for Flute and string (1944)
· Symphny No. 1 Symphonie Populair (1945)
· Concertino for violin and piano (1949)
· Symphony No. 3 Mediterranean Sinfonietta (1952)
· The Opera Alexandra ha'khashmonait (Alexandra the Hasmonean) (1955–6)
· Enigma Woodwind Quintet, piano and percussion (1962)
· ArtHur ruBinStEin six inventions for piano, hommage to the pianist (1974)
· Symphony no.10 Sinfonia Brevis (1981)

Avidom won the Israel Prize (1961), Engel Prize (1947), The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra Prize (1951) and ACUM Prize (1962).

Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: