The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:44:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

RVW's 9th

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RVW's 9th  (Read 1207 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 12:43:59 am »

relm1's posts are spot on.

Listening to the recording we now have been so kindly allowed to hear is a fantastic reminder of the excellent performance but-naturally-it cannot replicate the actual experience of being in the concert hall and hearing the music live. The impact of Manze's reading was more immediate and more powerful simply because one was there ;D

I am delighted that relm1 does agree with me that Manze and the BBC Scottish SO should record the work. I actually said so to the current Manager of the orchestra who simply smirked and said "ah, there lies a story"-which could mean anything or nothing. A studio recording would ultimately allow Manze to refine his interpretation and, in that sense, be potentially even "better".

What the performance (and the recording) confirm in my own mind is that this is one of RVW's greatest creations. Indeed my companion at the concert(who actually wrote the programme notes) asserted that it was VW's finest symphony :) It is a work which grows in stature the more one listens to it. The finale is quite wonderful and as an "enigmatic summation" of VW's music has such intense power that I am left overawed :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: