The Art-Music Forum
October 18, 2019, 03:13:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

RVW's 9th

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RVW's 9th  (Read 502 times)
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2013, 05:16:28 pm »

A fascinating score.Not being a musician,I just use my ears;but I don't find any inconsistencies in this score. It's full of interesting ideas from beginning to end. In fact,I find this score allot more compelling than the some of the earlier,more popular ones (with the exception of No 5).
As to the Sinfonia Antartica,"folks" Roll Eyes Grin. I think it's cinematic origins are a reasonable excuse for any perceivable shortcomings. As a teenager,I remember being very excited by the musical pictorialism of VW's depictions of penguins,howling blizzards & glaciers. The Haitink was,of course,a bit of a spectacular at the time. Indeed,a youngster who might otherwise be bored to tears by an ascending Lark,or someone they've never heard of,called Thomas Tallis,might just be tempted (after hearing it,possibly at full blast Grin) into trying a drop of the hard,or harder stuff!
Unlike jimfin,I DO rather like the score,when I'm in the right mood. Having said that,despite all the filmic spectacle,along the way,the fact that it depicts a long,frostbitten trudge to an icy death,does put me off a bit. I DO like happy endings! Mind you,there's not much VW could do about that,fair play! Roll Eyes
Of course a 'Roald Amundsen Symphony' based on a movie about Amundsen would have been more upbeat,but a bit too boring. The fact that the bloke,who won the race,wasn't British,and did some decent research before he went there doesn't go down well in the English speaking world,old bean!! Roll Eyes Grin

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: