The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:11:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A disappointing new batch of releases from CPO

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A disappointing new batch of releases from CPO  (Read 329 times)
kyjo
« on: April 20, 2013, 10:46:32 pm »

Can't say I'm too pleased with CPO's latest batch of releases: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/home

Do we really need more recordings of Gernsheim's symphonies? The Arte Nova performances are just fine for me. CPO has promised Gernsheim's PC (which, I have heard, is a wonderful piece) for quite a while now; why haven't they released that? While I do like Gernsheim's symphonies, I do not think additional recordings of them are necessary.

There's very little chance I'd like the 2-disc set of Schnabel's chamber music and lieder. I haven't been too impressed with what I've heard of his music-rather grey, uninteresting atonalism if you ask me :(

...AND STILL NO DAVID OR KALLSTENIUS >:(

I should be grateful, though. CPO has unearthed innumerable treasures that I would not want to be without :) Their release schedule can just be a little frustrating sometimes ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 11:41:56 pm »

Send Burkhard Schmilgun an email asking about the David and Kallstenius ::)
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 08:52:54 am »

I am afraid the backlog of items still awaiting their release is still greater than we assume. Last month, I bought two of CPO's new discs: the Wilhelm Georg Berger one and the CD presenting violin sonatas by Wilhelm Peterson-Berger. While the Berger pieces were recorded in 2009/10, the Peterson-Berger recordings date back to 2001/02, i.e. they have been awaiting their final release on CD for more than one decade!

As for the current batch, whether this is that disappointing or not seems to be a matter of your point of view, in fact. For instance, I am glad about the Schnabel release, and I know other persons who like his music a lot, too. I also know many persons (myself not included) who will be delighted about those Graun and Pfleger items...

Of course, I'd be glad finally to get the David and Kallstenius discs, but meanwhile, we should accept that CPO offer a broad range of music addressing quite a number of considerably different collectors. There are obviously many recordings still to be released, and the amount of music which might qualify for an interesting recording project is enormous. So I personally just pick out the discs which interest me most each month and enjoy what I get.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: