The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:57:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Tikhon Khrennikov

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tikhon Khrennikov  (Read 2234 times)
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 10:57:43 pm »

One must draw the line somewhere. Khrennikov is where I draw the line. The music is not worth ignoring my personal beliefs.  What he put Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Myaskovsky, Popov, Shebalin, Weinberg, and on and on is not something I can just look past because the melodies are hummable.
He was a true rat of a a sub-human. Read the stories of Prokofiev doing without food and then listen to his empty music.  He made Myaskovsky's last years a torment. Weinberg was sent to prison.  Licking Zhdanov's boots. Denying that he ever did anything questionable, etc. etc.
I just cannot do it.

IMHO Vaimberg was imprisoned for his kinship with Mihoels.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 09:29:01 am »

I can think of one Soviet composer who spent 10 years in the gulag-Mikhail Nosyrev :(

A dreadful case. Do we know what he was charged with?  Admitting that very often such charges were, of course, pure fiction anyhow :((  It's good to know that he was eventually released.

But sticking to the point - do we know if Khrennikov was involved in this case?  If he was employed as an orchestral musician, I would doubt this matter would have passed across the desk of the Union of Composers?
Report Spam   Logged
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 01:07:51 am »

Please note: there is now a new rule relating to disparaging remarks about musicians' moral character!

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,474.msg5919.html#msg5919

In brief, such remarks should always be substantiated by reference to published authorities.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 01:22:44 am »

Dead musicians? Does this include Liszt & Heifetz?!! ??? ::) Exactly how far back are we going here! This could include allot of people!!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 02:01:06 am »

I can think of one Soviet composer who spent 10 years in the gulag-Mikhail Nosyrev :(

A dreadful case. Do we know what he was charged with?  Admitting that very often such charges were, of course, pure fiction anyhow :((  It's good to know that he was eventually released.

But sticking to the point - do we know if Khrennikov was involved in this case?  If he was employed as an orchestral musician, I would doubt this matter would have passed across the desk of the Union of Composers?

No, I am certainly not alleging any connection between Khrennikov and the arrest of Mikhail Nosyrev.

Nosyrev was arrested in 1943 at the age of 19 and accused, along with his father and mother, of organizing counter-revolutionary propaganda against the Soviet regime, betraying the fatherland, planning to defect to the Germans etc etc. They were all sentenced to be shot but the sentence was commuted to ten years imprisonment. Nosyrev's father died in captivity.

His real crime ??? ??? He had told a joke about the Leningrad Party Boss, the infamous Andrei Zhdanov. His teacher reported this to the authorities ::)
Report Spam   Logged
guest2
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 02:07:19 am »

Where can I read about all that information, Mr. D?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 02:15:06 am »

Where can I read about all that information, Mr. D?

The detailed and extensive cd booklet notes written by the eminent authority on Russian Music (now sadly deceased) Per Skans for the Olympia series of Nosyrev's music. Unfortunately these Olympia discs will be extremely difficult to find :(
Report Spam   Logged
guest2
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 02:16:49 am »

Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 11:19:12 pm »

For those interested:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Brilliant%2BClassics/9448

...the Khrennikov Piano Concertos Nos. 2 and 3 and the two Violin Concertos are being reissued by Brilliant.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2013, 01:50:48 pm »

For those interested:

...the Khrennikov Piano Concertos Nos. 2 and 3 and the two Violin Concertos are being reissued by Brilliant.
Good! :) I love his music! This is a nice price,but I think the Melodiya set is the one to get. I particularly enjoy his Second and third symphonies.Some of the playing in the Second symphony is quite phenomenal. Perhaps they were a bit scared of him?!! :o ;D The third entertainingly schmaltzy,with those fun 'himalayan' bits that Rob Barnett refererred to. The piano concertos are fantastic.Very exciting in places as is Khrennikov's playing. He certainly was a fine pianist. I'd love to hear him playing some other composer,but I have,so far,failed to find any recordings. I actually prefer his Piano concertos to Kabalevsky's set. There is a bit more muscle and fibre to Khrennikov's concertos and if it wasn't for his 'reputation' I think they might have had some more recordings. Having said that,I'm not sure these old recordings could be bettered. The sound quality on my transfers is pretty good too & you get that wonderful braying :o ;D soviet brass! :)

Apologies for my enthusiasm. I just like what I've heard!! :( ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 10:01:47 pm »

For those interested:

Good! :) I love his music! This is a nice price,but I think the Melodiya set is the one to get. I particularly enjoy his Second and third symphonies.Some of the playing in the Second symphony is quite phenomenal. Perhaps they were a bit scared of him?!! :o ;D The third entertainingly schmaltzy,with those fun 'himalayan' bits that Rob Barnett refererred to. The piano concertos are fantastic.Very exciting in places as is Khrennikov's playing. He certainly was a fine pianist. I'd love to hear him playing some other composer,but I have,so far,failed to find any recordings. I actually prefer his Piano concertos to Kabalevsky's set. There is a bit more muscle and fibre to Khrennikov's concertos and if it wasn't for his 'reputation' I think they might have had some more recordings. Having said that,I'm not sure these old recordings could be bettered. The sound quality on my transfers is pretty good too & you get that wonderful braying :o ;D soviet brass! :)

Apologies for my enthusiasm. I just like what I've heard!! :( ;D

I like the Second Symphony with its rather poignant ending to the slow movement and catchy last movement.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 11:00:31 pm »

I am probably less well informed than you erudite gentlemen on the life and times of T. Khrennikov, other than a very generalized awareness of his reputation as a musico-political ogre and generally unsavoury character,  but I must confess, I do enjoy his music (sorry, Tapiola!).  Why, indeed, should the devil have all the best tunes?
I despise the politics of Henze but can still enjoy the music..refusing to listen to a composer because of fickle politiks is your loss, it will not hurt the composer..
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 12:58:56 am »

I am not getting drawn into this again. [...]

http://sinfinimusic.com/uk/reviews/recordings/lebrecht-album-of-the-week/khrennikov-violin-and-piano-concertos-2-sept/
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:53:21 am by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 12:47:14 pm »

I am probably less well informed than you erudite gentlemen on the life and times of T. Khrennikov, other than a very generalized awareness of his reputation as a musico-political ogre and generally unsavoury character,  but I must confess, I do enjoy his music (sorry, Tapiola!).  Why, indeed, should the devil have all the best tunes?
I despise the politics of Henze but can still enjoy the music..refusing to listen to a composer because of fickle politiks is your loss, it will not hurt the composer..
Especially when they're dead! :o ;D Alan Bush is another one whose politics seemed to get in the way of actual music making;but in a different sort of way of course!! I must admit,I don't warm to what I've heard. I find his Piano Concerto turgid;although maybe I'll try that Dutton cd when I've got some money to spare! ::)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 09:02:28 pm »

Tikhon Khrennikov certainly remains a controversial figure!! ::) :o
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: