The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:24:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Tikhon Khrennikov

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tikhon Khrennikov  (Read 2241 times)
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 10:01:47 pm »

For those interested:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Brilliant%2BClassics/9448

...the Khrennikov Piano Concertos Nos. 2 and 3 and the two Violin Concertos are being reissued by Brilliant.
Good! :) I love his music! This is a nice price,but I think the Melodiya set is the one to get. I particularly enjoy his Second and third symphonies.Some of the playing in the Second symphony is quite phenomenal. Perhaps they were a bit scared of him?!! :o ;D The third entertainingly schmaltzy,with those fun 'himalayan' bits that Rob Barnett refererred to. The piano concertos are fantastic.Very exciting in places as is Khrennikov's playing. He certainly was a fine pianist. I'd love to hear him playing some other composer,but I have,so far,failed to find any recordings. I actually prefer his Piano concertos to Kabalevsky's set. There is a bit more muscle and fibre to Khrennikov's concertos and if it wasn't for his 'reputation' I think they might have had some more recordings. Having said that,I'm not sure these old recordings could be bettered. The sound quality on my transfers is pretty good too & you get that wonderful braying :o ;D soviet brass! :)

Apologies for my enthusiasm. I just like what I've heard!! :( ;D

I like the Second Symphony with its rather poignant ending to the slow movement and catchy last movement.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: