The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:13:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Downloading Problems!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downloading Problems!  (Read 2575 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2013, 04:40:24 am »

Before contacting my Internet provider I just wondered whether any technically-minded members had a view on a recent serious problem which has affected my use of the net ???

My internet browser is Mozilla Firefox and I have the latest version installed. This is allowing full and easy access to any sites on the web without any problems whatsoever.

If, however, I now attempt to download any music or to watch streaming video these freeeze almost immediately and commence buffering. If I pause the download or stream and then wait for a few minutes the download/stream resumes, only to freeze again shortly afterwards. In order to download a piece of music from Mediafire I have now to go through this tedious process four or five times before the download is complete. The downloaded file plays perfectly!

I have cleaned out my cache, have got rid of all temporary internet files, run a full system scan...with no problems reported!  Broadband speed-checker usually reports a download speed of around 20MG. I have rebooted both my pc and my internet router: no change!

This has only begun to happen over the past week. I am tempted to download and try a different browser (say Google Chrome).....except that-in every other respect-Firefox is operating perfectly normally!

Any suggestions ??? ???
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 11:15:38 am »

Colin, try Google Chrome. I have both Firefox and GC on my PC and alternate between the two - I find that Firefox can be very slow at times and now generally use GC which is less cluttered and gives a faster response (at least in my experience).

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 03:46:41 pm »

I can certainly try that, John. You are not the first person to suggest switching to Google Chrome.

If that does not solve the problem.......... ::)
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 06:57:38 pm »

I don't think Chrome does a better job.
I use the latest version of Firefox as well, and have no downloading problems. That is: other than the now and then hickups of Mediafire. Downloading from YT is a different matter. There I have sometimes problems that files will not complete a download. Mostly to do with conversions.
Si I feel that you should contact your provider. It must be a problem with the available bandwidth of your provider.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 11:09:14 pm »

Oddly enough, downloading from You Tube is the ONE thing which is still working perfectly ::)

I use the "Free You Tube Downloader" programme and it is still doing the job without any "sticking issues".
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 12:53:43 am »

I had that slow-down effect last November, at a time when my old Service Provider had introduced a new connection in their network, and they had made a mistake with the MTU at some point. It never did come right again - at least not before I very quickly switched to a different Service Provider. They were very slow to respond to complaints - or perhaps lacked the technical knowledge to do so - and I believe they lost a lot of customers during that episode.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 02:02:49 am »

If trying out different Browsers does not solve the problem then I shall contact my service provider and threaten to change to a different network.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 10:50:53 am »

If YT downloading is o.k. and there are still freezing problems, you should think of a memoty problem in your computer.
Enough memory? Failing memory? Not all the test you do on your system give the right answer.
I don't know what version of Windows you use, but with Windows 7 these problems occurred now and then.

BTW I use the same YT downloader. Most of the times it is ok!

Mysterious things these machines called compouter
Report Spam   Logged
erato
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 04:25:47 pm »

Mysterious things these machines called compouter
Never heard of them.  ;)
Report Spam   Logged
oldfezzi
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 05:18:38 pm »

Colin, you might just try uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox.   Simple, doesn't take a lot of time and often is all it takes...... 8) 8)

OldFezzi
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 01:25:21 am »

Thank you for your kind suggestions :)

I did check my PC's Memory.......no problems there.

It would appear that my initial options include-

(a) Uninstalling and then reinstalling Firefox

(b) Switching to an alternative Internet Browser. I do have Internet Explorer on my machine and it certainly works as far as, for example, streaming video is concerned but that is not the real problem...which is Downloading.

I do not want to do anything however until a good friend of mine who knows a lot about computers and is Vice-President of a Software Company returns from the company's HQ in Florida at the weekend. Browsers work perfectly but need plug-ins/extensios to download and I would not want to mess about with my browser without being sure that I had these necessary additions.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 04:32:38 am »

I have just realised that I did not update this post to say that-miraculously-my problems disappeared at the beginning of the weekend :) :)

My suspicion must be that there was a problem at my internet provider's end since I had done nothing further to my machine apart from giving it a good clean-out(although maybe that was it ???)

Anyway....touch wood ;D ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: