The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:28:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Finale output file question?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finale output file question?  (Read 1019 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2013, 05:00:45 pm »

Hello, expert users of the Finale music notation/composition program!

Can anyone help me with a foolish question?

I have to produce some incidental music for a play, and I intend using Finale to do so.

Is there any way to capture the actual replay quality which Finale offers?  I have saved my file as .wav but the musical instrument sounds are disastrously worse than Finale - particularly the percussion, which sounds like a lot of insects trapped in a vinyl suitcase :((

Any suggestions or workarounds?  :)

Thanks for anything you can offer!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 07:01:54 am »

(bump)
Report Spam   Logged
nigelkeay
Level 2

Times thanked: 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 09:24:09 am »

I'm not a Finale user, only Mosaic then Sibelius, and even with Sibelius I never bothered loading all the sounds for playback; i just use the general MIDI sounds to check the notation.
If you have composed the music in Finale and ultimately want a good sounding recording, maybe you have to consider saving as a MIDI file then load that into a sequencer (DAW) to drive a satisfactory sounding bank of instruments.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 10:29:34 am »

Thanks, Nigel!   :)

I've extracted a MIDI file from my work, but the results are pretty horrible :(

It's probably the step with the sequencer that I've omitted?  Sorry, I am not very advanced with this stuff!

The problem particularly concerns the percussion, as it's a 'percussion break' to cover a fight scene, and I've been generous with the range of sidedrums and toms I've used ;)
Report Spam   Logged
nigelkeay
Level 2

Times thanked: 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 11:05:57 am »

I'm wondering what you have playing back the MIDI file? In any case I'm assuming it's some sort of general midi computer playback. What you need to do is use the midi file just for its commands (e.g. note-on, note-off etc.) particularly in the case of the percussion. I'm guessing that to get good percussion sounds you may have to buy some sort of library. These are triggered by the sequencer then these are what'll be recorded. I'm not the best-placed to help you as I don't work with sound libraries, but I work with a DAW for audio recording so understand the principles.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 03:21:30 pm »

I'm guessing that to get good percussion sounds you may have to buy some sort of library.

Sadly I thought I'd already done so when I bought Garritan Orchestral Sounds for Finale, but clearly I'd not not thought things through coherently :(
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: