The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:28:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sir Colin Davis(1927-2013)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sir Colin Davis(1927-2013)  (Read 318 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2013, 03:04:48 am »

The death has just been announced of Sir Colin Davis at the age of 85 :(

Davis was the greatest living British conductor. I first saw him when he was Assistant Conductor of the BBC Scottish Orchestra(as then was) conducting the offstage chorus in 'Neptune' from Holst's "Planets Suite" in a performance by the BBC Symphony Orchestra under Sir Malcom Sargent in the Usher Hall in Edinburgh back in the 1950s.

He made his reputation as a quite incomparable conductor of Berlioz, Sibelius and Tippett, as a programmer of modern music with the BBC Symphony Orchestra and as a great interpreter of opera during his stint at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden.

But like fine wine Davis matured as the years went by into a superb conductor with a deeper and more profound understanding of the repertoire. At the London Symphony Orchestra(probably Britain's finest orchestra) he came, late in life, to composers like Bruckner and, recently, Nielsen and his performances of these great composers along with his re-recordings of Sibelius will be a lasting memorial to a very great conductor.

He was not, apparently, over-keen on some of the British composers I revere...but even Vaughan Williams finally was embraced by him.

The deaths in recent years of British conductors of the stature of Vernon Handley and Richard Hickox dealt a severe blow to the cause of British Music but that of Colin Davis is a dreadful loss to Music in general.

He was truly a Great Conductor.....and there are few of those left. The octogenarians include Boulez, Blomstedt, Masur, Dohnanyi, Haitink, Previn, Maazel, Rozhdestvensky and Abbado but one can argue about how many of these are really great.

Sir Colin......RIP :(
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

albert
Level 3

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 01:54:42 pm »

Regretting the loss , I am anyway lucky to have seen Sir Colin Davis conducting in my city four times the LSO (also Vaughan Williams Fourth Symphony, and even MacMillan The World's Ransoming).
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 02:11:16 pm »

One of the true maestros, and with a career so long that he used to conduct Berlioz when he wasn't fashionable! I love his recording of Les Troyens
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 03:40:09 pm »

It seems apppropriate to post this link today:

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: