The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:52:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Recording of "Orbit: A Symphonic Fantasy"

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recording of "Orbit: A Symphonic Fantasy"  (Read 421 times)
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2013, 04:48:44 pm »

Hello everyone,

I posted this on GMF but thought I'd post it here as well.  Some of you might have an interest in my orchestral work, Orbit: A Symphonic Fantasy which was released and is available from online retailers.

The work is inspired by the spirit of exploration throughout the ages as typified by this quote from the sixteenth century explorer, Ferdinand Magellan: "It is with an iron will that they embark on the most daring of all endeavors ... to meet the shadowy future without fear and conquer the unknown."

ORBIT - A Symphonic Fantasy is also being played at the California Science Center (the permanent home of the Space Shuttle Endeavour) as part of their IMAX productions on space exploration. This is a huge honor for me and I'm thrilled with the support and excitement they have had towards me and my music.

A nice review from Musicweb International:
"…it is no surprise that Karim's music, as evidenced by this rather enjoyable CD, bears the grand DNA of the epic film score. Orbit, with its inspiration from the final NASA space flight, lacks nothing in braggadocio and unstoppable confidence borne on high by the huge orchestral dynamism of John Williams and Howard Shore. The melodic material is inevitably bound at times to recall Star Wars, Superman and ET but the later pages take a tincture from Bernard Herrmann at his most subtle. Thus the music fades into a rainbow shimmer of strings underpinned by a deeply brooding bass. At the end Elmahmoudi cannot resist the epic valedictory full stop with the orchestra at full stretch. This could easily be seen as music to James Michener’s fine novel: Space (1982)."  - http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2013/Mar13/Elmahmoudi_Orbit.htm

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/orbit-a-symphonic-fantasy/id594693872
Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B6N4V8C
Amazon Europe: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orbit-A-Symphonic-Fantasy/dp/B00B6KS0UK

Thank you.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kyjo
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 07:56:16 pm »

I am quite honored to have a composer in my presence! Glad you were able to get your work recorded by an orchestra. The mention of the influences of Williams, Shore and Herrmann (three of my favorite film music composers) will certainly compel me to investigate your work :)
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 06:13:02 pm »

I am quite honored to have a composer in my presence! Glad you were able to get your work recorded by an orchestra. The mention of the influences of Williams, Shore and Herrmann (three of my favorite film music composers) will certainly compel me to investigate your work :)

Thank you kyjo, the honor is mine.  I hope you like this music.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 07:43:32 pm »

At such a relatively cheap price it is certainly worth taking a punt on the disc. The excerpts one can hear on Amazon, coupled with Rob Barnett's review, suggest attractive music and we should be seeking to encourage a relatively young composer who is prepared in this day and age to write accessible music of this sort.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 07:50:11 pm »

I had forgotten that you are the same person who wrote at length, dismissively about Lowell Liebermann's Symphony No.2.

Never mind....I shall not hold that against your music ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 09:56:15 pm »

I had forgotten that you are the same person who wrote at length, dismissively about Lowell Liebermann's Symphony No.2.

Never mind....I shall not hold that against your music ;D ;D

Hi Dundonnell,

Actually I don't agree I wrote dismissively because that would imply indifference.  I said this:

Hi Dundonnell,
my opinion of Liebermann is evolving since the fights erupted on the other board.  I very much enjoyed the new Albany CD which featured the Concerto for Orchestra, Mozart Variations, Nocturne, and Revelry.  I find this disc does much to salvage my opinion of the Symphony No. 2 disc...That is why Samuel Barber sounds great though Liebermann uses many of the same devises but in this work at least is not successful to me.  Again, I find his latest CD, very good, so perhaps the problem I have with his Symphony No. 2 is less to do with the composer and more to do with that work or recording.  With all this said, I'll relisten to the work to see if my initial opinion still holds or if perhaps I missed something.  Alun Hoddinott said in his opinion there is no such thing as a bad composer, just someone who wasn't trying.  Liebermann's symphony no. 2 gives me the impression of poor execution of second rate ideas and feels like a composer who wasn't even trying though clearly had the skills.  His other works are much more impressive.

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 11:12:12 am »

I am still planning to get hold of the Albany disc of Liebermann's music. Albany does not make it easy for customers outside the US.

I do not happen to share your views about the Symphony No.2.....but this thread is about your music. My remark was a throw-away line, intended to be jocular. I look forward to being able to comment in due course on the music on the disc of yours.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: