The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:37:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Robert Ward (1917-2013)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Robert Ward (1917-2013)  (Read 1233 times)
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2013, 12:53:42 am »

Over there at UC Eric informed us (before his message was deleted) that Robert Ward died on April 2nd. Sad news.

I hadn't heard of Ward before I joined UC and he was one of my greatest finds last year. Thanks to Shamokin/Schuylkill for bringing him to my attention!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kyjo
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 01:13:47 am »

That is indeed sad news, but at least he lived to a ripe old age :) I very much like his neo-romantic music, which often recalls Hanson and Harris in its "wide open spaces", distinctly American feel.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 01:14:56 am »

(before his message was deleted)

>:( >:( >:(

I wonder why Eric hasn't joined this forum yet? I know he has a passion for modern music as well and his wealth of knowledge would be of great use to us :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 03:12:19 am »

Robert Ward was certainly the senior American symphonist and one of the very last who wrote in the "American Tradition".

I suppose that now leaves Ned Rorem-who is 89-as Ward's successor in the role of the Grand Old Man of American Music.

It also further diminishes the number of American symphonists aged over 70. Rorem, Easley Blackwood(79), Henri Lazarof(80), Philip Glass(76), John Harbison(74), John Corigliano(75), William Bolcom(74),Ellen Taaffe Zwilich(73) are probably the best known names but they are a rather mixed bunch and the music of some of these(Glass and Corigliano) divide opinion.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 03:28:04 am »

Grand Old Man......Harold Shapero!   93 this month.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 06:27:38 am »

Ward's opera THE CRUCIBLE would certainly be on my list of 'Top 10 Operas Of The C20th'.  It's a stupendous piece of music-theatre, and deserves to be more widely known.

He lived to a ripe old age, and I'm sorry we have lost him.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 02:38:57 pm »

Grand Old Man......Harold Shapero!   93 this month.

Shapero is certainly older than Rorem.....but-very unfortunately-we know so little of his music. The Symphony is a very fine piece indeed and it is such a shame that he does not seem to have been able to add anything substantial since then. There is the Concerto for Orchestra and a Trumpet Concerto but neither has received a recording.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 03:32:20 pm »

"he does not seem to have been able to add anything substantial since then"....completely inaccurate.

I know his music.  Piano Sonata in F minor, Piano Variations in C minor, Three Hebrew Songs, Whittier Songs,Serenade in D, String Quartet, all among the finest works we have in each genre.
He has just had no advocates and refused too push his music.  Rorem is constantly writing books, giving interviews, etc.
Sally Pinkas has now taken up the cause of the piano music.
His time will come after he's passed I'm afraid.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 05:19:09 pm »

Colin's an "Orchestra man" and wouldn't know anything about those other pieces you mention.  He's referring to Symphonies, Concerti, big choral works, and such. - I surmise.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 05:50:33 pm »

His time will come after he's passed I'm afraid.

Always the way, I'm afraid. But it's nothing new.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 06:06:54 pm »

Colin's an "Orchestra man" and wouldn't know anything about those other pieces you mention.  He's referring to Symphonies, Concerti, big choral works, and such. - I surmise.

Your surmise is correct.....and I apologise to Harold Shapero :)
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 07:02:18 pm »

Dundonnel, you are a true gentleman.  I think you would love the Serenade in D Major for String Orchestra (35 minutes). Shapero was greatly admired by no less than Stravinsky, Copland and Bernstein. Copland called the symphony "Beethovenian" and the Serenade "Mozartian". No mean compliment in my opinion. His marvelous Piano Sonata in F minor was roundly booed when premiered by Beveridge Webster. Not serial, so it had no value. Where have we heard that before?
I wish I could send you the live recording I have from Harold's 80th birthday concert.
Also, Sally Pinkas will be performing and recording the 35 minute Piano Sonata in F minor this June...also equal to the above works. I am personally sponsoring it at Dartmouth.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 07:16:55 pm »

I am presuming that there is no available recording of the Serenade for String Orchestra ???
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 08:06:47 pm »

Colin, if you are interested in hearing more of Shapero's orchestral works, you might take interest in this mp3 album which includes his Credo for orchestra (taken from the Concerto for Orchestra) as well as his Partita in C for piano and orchestra, coupled with works by Irving Fine (another great composer!) and Arthur Berger: http://www.amazon.com/Irving-Arthur-Shapero-Premiere-Recordings/dp/B0046ZUZZA/ref=sr_1_13?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1365102429&sr=1-13&keywords=shapero

I agree with the general opinion here that Shapero is a very fine composer. His Symphony for Classical Orchestra is a riveting, life-affirming piece of music :) It's kind of like Beethoven on steroids meets Copland (for lack of a better description)! It's a shame he hasn't written any more symphonies :(
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 08:17:48 pm »

I would love to buy that mp3 download but Amazon.com downloads are not available for downloading outside the USA :( :(
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: