The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:09:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Aldo Finzi (1897-1945), Italian composer

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aldo Finzi (1897-1945), Italian composer  (Read 7142 times)
kyjo
« on: April 03, 2013, 12:37:11 am »

I doubt many members here have heard of Italian composer Aldo Finzi (no relation to Gerald ;D); that's why I'm bringing this excellent composer up. Some of his symphonic poems were recorded by Bel Air Music, but were unfortunately paired with famous works and the discs went out of print quickly. Thankfully, much of his music has been released recently on mp3 albums available from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=aldo+finzi

Though his music contains echoes of Strauss and Repsighi, Finzi's music is quite ahead of its time-there is none of the bel canto operatic style of Puccini or Mascagni in his music. His symphonic poems Come all'ultimo suo and Numquam-Sinfonia Romana, written during Mussolini's regime, are especially impressive works which reflect the dark times during which they were written. His music can be quite fun too, especially the Danza for two pianos, two saxophones and orchestra. Finzi has an excellent website dedicated to him, which, oddly, does not give a reason for his early death at age 48: http://www.aldo-finzi.com/ENG/Home.html

Anyone who enjoys late-romantic/early modern music with originality to spare should not overlook Aldo Finzi. Those wishing to sample his music can find a good bit of it on YT!

:)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 01:06:06 am »

You can sample 2 of his orchestral pieces here:
Aldo Finzi - Danza (The Russian State Orchestra - Dmitri Jablonskij,

and here:
Aldo Finzi - Symphonic Poem Infinito
MusicaNova Orchestra under the direction of Warren Cohen
The American Premiere performance

Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 12:14:39 am »

I do like Aldo Finzi's music, but, as you say, it can be difficult to find.

Just two points

1. He probably was a distant relative of Gerald Finzi as GF's family came from Italy in the early C19.

2. Aldo Finzi's and his family, being Jewish, had to go into hiding during WW2 and the stress of this caused AD to die of a heart-attack at the age of 48 just before the War ended.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 01:35:02 am »

I do like Aldo Finzi's music, but, as you say, it can be difficult to find.

Just two points

1. He probably was a distant relative of Gerald Finzi as GF's family came from Italy in the early C19.

2. Aldo Finzi's and his family, being Jewish, had to go into hiding during WW2 and the stress of this caused AD to die of a heart-attack at the age of 48 just before the War ended.

Thank you for this information :)
Report Spam   Logged
albert
Level 3

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 09:40:58 am »

I have got an impressive 1996 Cd "Nuova Era" containing a "big" string quartet (about 37' in three movements), a violin-piano sonata, a "Pavana" for piano, some songs for soprano and piano (in Italian, French and English).
The main influence here appears to me Debussy. Among the symphonic poems I know only "Numquam-Sinfonia romana" (IMHO very Straussian).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: