The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:51:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Mediafire and Downloads-Serious Problems!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mediafire and Downloads-Serious Problems!  (Read 1287 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2013, 02:37:35 am »

I have no idea whether any other members have experienced recent problems with Mediafire.

When I went to my music folder yesterday-for the first time for a quite a long while- in order to upload some music for a member I first of all got a notification that I had exceeded my 10GB storage limit by 4GB and then everything shrunk to such tiny print size that I could read nothing on the screen ::) ::)

As a result I have had to delete over 4GB of music....and what is FAR worse is that I have no idea what I have deleted since I could not even read the names of the files I was deleting.

The consequence of this ridiculous situation is that I may well have deleted music to which I had previously provided links on here and members looking to use these links will be told that the file does not exist.

I have ALL of the music filed carefully on my pc and backed up to an external hard drive so anything that is "lost" can be re-uploaded but until Mediafire allows me to actually read anything on the screen I cannot use their site and will need to use an alternative.

If anyone else has experienced the same problem or has any idea how to solve the issue I would dearly love to hear from them.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest54
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 07:52:01 am »

Well, when I go to Mediafire the fonts in the listing of my uploads look different from the way they usually do - all the lower case ell characters (llll) have thicker stems than they should have, and that is new. On the other hand, the size of the font is quite large enough to be legible. I am using Firefox 17.0

Also every file in the listing has a triangle next to it, with an exclamation mark . . . well they did have, when I started writing this text, but now that I go back and look again - five minutes later - all the triangles have gone away.

The fonts in hotmail have also changed recently, but the ells there have normal stems.

So - I too have no idea what is going on - which I fear is no help at all! - but I would suggest waiting for a day or two to see what happens next.

In the mean time one way to read text that is too small to be legible might be to "copy" it and "paste" it into the Notepad programme.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 02:54:21 pm »

My free storage on Mediafire also suddenly shrunk from 50Gb to 10Gb, with messages of encouragement to purchase a premium membership in order to have more storage space. No problems with fonts for me, though. This is despicable! Mediafire has been very problematical of late, as members have noted on this forum. This is a really bad marketing move, however, that does not in any way encourage me to spend money with them. A little warning of an impending change would have been nice, at the least. Fortunately, I wasn't too far over the limit, so I deleted a few files and left it at that.

My recommendation at the moment is to use a service called Zippyfile. I encountered it on a couple of blogs and it seems to work very will, with a minimum of distracting advertising and deceptive download links. I uploaded a few files on Saturday and all went smoothly, though a little slower than Mediafire.

I'll leave my files on Mediafire as long as they let me, but I won't be uploading any new files there.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 02:55:38 pm »

Maybe they are trying to convince you to subscribe? Mine seems OK with $18.00 per year subscription, I have about 20 GB used of 50 GB available. Not sure what happens when time for new payment. Hope there's a solution for your loss, Dundonell
Report Spam   Logged
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 04:22:12 pm »

I'm also having the same problem- mediafire has cut back.  I've not had to delete anything -- yet, but I'm up against the limit.

Public folders on DropBox are also an option... but it has be wondering if someone is willing to set up an FTP server.

Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 05:43:26 pm »

Does this new limit on free capacity not have serious implications for our huge collection of British music which is available through Mediafire links ??? ???

As far as font size is concerned I am still having the same problems-which are exclusive to the Mediafire site-ie everything has shrunk to such miniscule size that I can no longer even read the "how to log-on" box ::) ::)

I am going to see if I can access the site using a different computer >:(

The really serious issue-not just for me but for others trying to access the links to the music I have uploaded to Mediafire- is that at present the entire collection is inaccessible ::)
Report Spam   Logged
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 06:42:54 pm »

Colin--
You can change the magnification in your browser when you visit Mediafire, which may help the legibility.  In Firefox, under View, there is a zoom command.  I'm sure IE and the other browsers have a similiar capability.
Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 07:45:05 pm »

That problem at least is now solved :) :)

Many thanks for your helpful advice :) :)

The new Mediafire limit of 10GB does remain an issue but if I have inadvertently deleted a piece of music someone wants then I can at least now re-upload it to Mediafire and delete unneeded files that I can actually identify ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:02:54 pm »

Also in my case the free  uploads is downsized from 50 to 15 gb.

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 03:43:26 pm »

Does this new limit on free capacity not have serious implications for our huge collection of British music which is available through Mediafire links ??? ???

No, there shouldn't be any issue here - I currently pay for an account with 250GB capacity.

;)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 06:34:08 pm »

My impression is that MediaFire seem to have switched back to the original state of issues. At least, today I have my 50 GB storage volume back though I haven't done anything for that.

Of course, I had been annoyed by the sudden change as well and thought about alternative ways of uploading files. Now, if MediaFire really return to their old policies I'll continue using their services, however, since the opportunity of permanent storage of a certain amount of files is really a nice thing especially for our purposes.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 09:23:57 am »

Also in my case the restriction upto 15GB has been removed, and my 50GB (I use today 32GB of that) are available.
I downloaded my uploads to be sure I can re-opload without having to digitize them anew. You never know

Report Spam   Logged
Sicmu
Level 2

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 01:46:09 am »

Some of my uploads were deleted because of the temporarily problems with Mediafire : I will not reupload the files but some other members can probably do it.
Report Spam   Logged
Amphissa
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 11:55:28 pm »

I just logged into my account (I have not logged in for a long time.) It says I have 50GB of storage possible. So far as I can tell, none of my files have been deleted.

I always Zip my files and use cryptic filenames. Maybe this helps protect them. I have never had a file deleted.

[knocking on wood]
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 09:09:41 pm »

I was having problems also.. so I upgraded to the 100gb for $25 I think...... sort of a bait and switch tactic on mediafire.....
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: