The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:26:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A chamber version of SIEGFRIED

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A chamber version of SIEGFRIED  (Read 929 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2011, 06:36:41 pm »

The chamber reduction of the RING operas - conceived and arranged by Graham Vick and Jonathan Dove, originally for Birmingham Opera - has turned up in another staged version.  Personally I think this is an outstanding reduction of the score - Dove has achieved something really remarkable.  The whole thing runs for around 2.5 hours, and can be seen in its entirety on a relay on ARTE.  Catch it while it's still free to view :)

SIEGFRIED
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

t-p
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 07:32:12 pm »

thank you Neil. I am listening to it now. As it happened there was short program about King Ludvig II of Bavaria on radio 4. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b018gpdg

I didn't know much about him beside his enthusiastic support of Wagner. 
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 06:52:04 am »

SIEGFRIED is the Ring opera which I know in most detail, so I was initially sceptical about the idea of a reduction... but I think Dove has captured all of the timbres and atmosphere of the original in an astounding piece of work :)  (BTW he has done the entire tetralogy in this format, not only SIEGFRIED).  It puts a live performance of the work at the disposal of theatres and other venues in smaller towns and cities who can't support the full version). 
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 07:08:09 pm »

It was good arrangement (though i did miss big violin sound).
I didn't know it was at all possible with Wagner's scores.

We have good run of several aria concerts with small orchestral forces. There was string quartet with double bass, clarinet, flute and horn, electric piano was reinforcing different sounds. It was very good.

In good hands these forces can sound good.
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 12:55:56 am »

The chamber reduction of the RING operas - conceived and arranged by Graham Vick and Jonathan Dove, originally for Birmingham Opera - has turned up in another staged version.  Personally I think this is an outstanding reduction of the score - Dove has achieved something really remarkable.  The whole thing runs for around 2.5 hours, and can be seen in its entirety on a relay on ARTE.  Catch it while it's still free to view :)

SIEGFRIED

Tremendous stuff: thank you!!

To retain a permanent record for the purpose of individual study and the like is rather more of a performance than in the case of the Guardian offerings; nevertheless it may readily be achieved through the use of URLsnooper and rtmpdump.

1) The first step is to obtain the URL of the actual stream. I have already done this with URLsnooper, so members following my foot-steps will be spared that requirement.

2) The next step is to split up the URL and juggle the pieces so that they form the correct arguments for rtmpdump. Again I have already done this, so members following in my foot-steps will be spared that.

3) And lastly, in a "command prompt" window, run the following rtmpdump command:

rtmpdump -r rtmp://arte.fcod.llnwd.net:1935/a2306/o25 -a a2306/o25 -f "WIN 10,3,183,7" -t rtmp://arte.fcod.llnwd.net:1935/a2306/o25 -p http://liveweb.arte.tv/ -o MySiegfried.flv -y MP4:liveweb/stream/2836_Ringsaga_Siegfried_stereo_DEF_hd.mp4

Note that it should all be on just one single line. It is recommended to paste it into a batch file so as to facilitate future fiddling.

It will be seen that I have named the output file "MySiegfried.flv" but of course people may use any name they desire.

The argument -f "WIN 10,3,183,7" corresponds to the version of the Adobe Flash Player on my machine, which is 10.3.183.7. Before trying this it is advisable to check your own version number, and substitute that. I have not yet had the opportunity to find out whether it actually makes any difference.

A message "WARNING: HandShake: client signature does not match" may pop up, but may safely be ignored.

The size of the output .flv file should be 967,919,434 bytes, and the video last two hours and thirteen minutes. The latest version of VLC Media Player runs it very well, and is able to seek backwards and forwards within the file; so there is no evident need to convert it to any other format.
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 07:01:23 am »

Use the following command for the jolly old Rheine Gold from the same series:

rtmpdump -r rtmp://arte.fcod.llnwd.net:1935/a2306/o25 -a a2306/o25 -f "WIN 10,3,183,7" -t rtmp://arte.fcod.llnwd.net:1935/a2306/o25 -p http://liveweb.arte.tv/ -o MyRheingold.flv -y MP4:liveweb/stream/2838_Ringsaga_Or_du_rhin_stereo_DEF_hd.mp4

The file size is 821,854,362 bytes and the video lasts one hour and fifty-two minutes.

It is all very clear and interesting, except that I feel the brass could do with rather more support or oomph. Here they are just a little too reminiscent of the Brighton Municipal Band are they not.

Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 08:58:48 am »

Here they are just a little too reminiscent of the Brighton Municipal Band are they not.

I regret that I am unfamiliar with the work of that august seaside ensemble - but I will take your word for it, Mr G  :)

Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 12:38:59 pm »

Here is the command line for the Val-coories:

rtmpdump -r rtmp://arte.fcod.llnwd.net:1935/a2306/o25 -a a2306/o25 -f "WIN 10,3,183,7" -t rtmp://arte.fcod.llnwd.net:1935/a2306/o25 -p http://liveweb.arte.tv/ -o MyValcoories.flv -y MP4:liveweb/stream/2837_Ringsaga_Walkyrie_Stereo_DEF_hd.mp4

The resultant file should be 1,120,914,405 bytes in length, and the video last for two hours thirty-four minutes.

For a time - too long a time actually - I was mystified because the server could not find the "play-stream." The reason turned out to be that inconsistent Frenchmen had elected in this case to spell "Stereo" with a capital "S", whereas in the two cases already dealt with it appears as "stereo." Case-sensitivity what!

Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 03:07:50 pm »

Here is the way to retrieve what Shaw variously names "Night Falls on the Gods," "Gods' Gloaming," "The Dusk of the Gods," and so on:

rtmpdump -r rtmp://arte.fcod.llnwd.net:1935/a2306/o25 -a a2306/o25 -f "WIN 10,3,183,7" -t rtmp://arte.fcod.llnwd.net:1935/a2306/o25 -p http://liveweb.arte.tv/ -o MyTOTGs.flv -y MP4:liveweb/stream/2835_Ringsaga_Crepuscule_Stereo_DEF_hd.mp4

The file size should be 1,125,981,241 bytes (but rounded up to the next allocation unit). The duration of the video is two hours thirty-four minutes.

Once again thanks to the original poster for drawing attention to this most remarkable series!

Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 03:05:45 pm »

One further comment: I did try converting the downloaded file (Valcoories.flv) to a more commonly used format (Valcoories.mp4). I used ffmpeg, thus:

ffmpeg -i Valcoories.flv Valcoories.mp4

This very straightforward conversion retains the original audio sample rate (48000 Hz), resolution (720 x 406), and frame rate (25 per second).

But whereas the size of the input .flv file is 1,120,914,405 bytes, the size of the output .mp4 file is 764,695,032 bytes - in fact a considerable improvement, especially when one considers that the mp4 format is easier to work with in many applications.
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 02:51:43 pm »

The procedure outlined above for retrieving "videos" from the "Arte" (http://liveweb.arte.tv/searchEvent.do?method=displayElements) has not been functioning for me since February. I frustratingly encountered the problem just as I was about to obtain their Parsifal. The reason for this turn of events I still do not know, but I have now discovered a rather better and simpler method which Members may be interested in learning about. It is called "Artepupper 0.3" and may be obtained here:

It comes with a short but clear .pdf file describing its use. I edited the .config file, so as to reflect the name of the directory I installed it to; and it has functioned very well. There are at present over two hundred high-quality "videos" available under the rubric "classique" alone. For example, the Matthew Passion from Leipsic - presumably THE version to have: 1,510,320,187 bytes.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 04:34:53 pm »

Thank you for sharing that valuable information, Mr G :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 01:10:41 pm »

The Parsifal is rather a disappointment, since it is not a staged version at all, but done in the style of a four-hour oratorio. I suppose that allows every one to concentrate on the music, but its composer would not have been terribly happy would he.

The St. Matthew on the other hand - with the Thomanerchor and Gewandhausorchester under Herr Biller - would have pleased its composer greatly (considering the forces with which he himself was obliged to make do), and I am truly over-joyed to have discovered it. It will henceforth remain one of my most treasured possessions.

I do not know how traditional the orchestral instruments are.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 07:37:28 pm »

The Parsifal is rather a disappointment, since it is not a staged version at all,

Ah, this is the latest idiocy - to stage oratorios, but leave operas unstaged :(
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: