The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:59:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Bruno Bettinelli (June 4, 1913 – November 8, 2004)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bruno Bettinelli (June 4, 1913 – November 8, 2004)  (Read 444 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2013, 04:19:13 am »

Forum Members:
I feel it would greatly benefit members of this forum to have some feedback on the Italian composer, Bruno Bettinelli.
While I do realize that he may just be a personal favorite of mine, I would like to know why his music still languishes in obscurity.
If it is just a personal preference, I should be able to perceive that with some help from fellow forum members.

Bettinelli was extremely prolific, his music is very unique and much of it I would describe as quite driven.
I guess he could loosely be described as an Italian Bartok, especially in temperament. As he got older, his music became more even more
dissonant (but not less accessable in my opinion.)
According to the Naxos bio, (who have recorded a few meager guitar pieces) Bettinelli was "profoundly influenced by the music of Stravinsky, Hindemith, and Bartσk, as well as by the previous generation of eminent fellow countrymen such as Malipiero (1882–1973), Casella (1883–1947), and Petrassi (1904–2003)". The few obscure guitar works are such an extreme understatement of his output as seen by huge volume of orchestral works listed on Wikipedia with 7 Unknown symphonies to his credit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Bettinelli

Most of what I have heard is from the archived broadcasts from RIAA Italy which are posted on Youtube.
A word of caution applies as the earlier works (circa 1925-35) suffer from flawed audio, but the newer pieces..eg 1970's are fine. For me, in spite of the audio, the older music still shines and are primie candidates for new recordings and performances.
His angular and captivating Sinfornia Breve of 1954 was conducted and recorded on a now defunct Ricordi CD by Leonard Bernstein, who recognized his talent and conducted the work in Italy. I feel a good place to start listening is with that work:

Mvts 1,2

Mvts 3,4

Be they Negative or positive, all comments are welcome..

Jolly Roger

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:30:52 pm by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 03:00:17 pm »

He certainly needn't be obscure to us, being well represented on YT. I particularly like his choral pieces, like 'Sono una creatura'.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 12:23:46 am »

This disc has been released now:
http://www.jubilate.it/it/coro/news/cd-bruno-bettinelli-opere-corali/
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 05:56:52 pm »

He certainly needn't be obscure to us, being well represented on YT. I particularly like his choral pieces, like 'Sono una creatura'.

True, but I would not consider this forum as representing the classical musical "mainstream", as it were.
Were it not for YT, Bettinelli would just be a who dat?? Maybe unsung would be a better word....
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:07:50 pm »

Were it not for YT, Bettinelli would just be a who dat

As would many, many other composers...
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 10:03:05 am »

Were it not for YT, Bettinelli would just be a who dat

As would many, many other composers...

Its certainly not spirit we lack, only money and numbers...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: