The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:48:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Kalevi Aho (1949-): Symphony no. 15 (6-minute excerpt)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kalevi Aho (1949-): Symphony no. 15 (6-minute excerpt)  (Read 5982 times)
kyjo
« on: March 30, 2013, 12:30:21 am »

Now, fellow Aho admirers, don't get too excited; this is only a six-minute excerpt (the ending of the work, I believe), but we should still be grateful to get a sneak preview of the Finnish master's latest work in the form:

As usual with Aho, pretty exciting stuff! BTW I tried to find a complete performance of the symphony on http://www.classiclive.com, where many of the Lahti SO's concerts can be viewed for free, but to no avail. Hopefully it won't be too long before BIS records this work! Aho, is, without a doubt, one of the most talented composers alive today :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 01:05:32 am »

Oh...I think that you can be pretty sure that this symphony WILL be recorded by BIS :)  The 15th can of course be downloaded from this site.

I see no sign of them giving up on their commitment to Aho. I just wish though that they would back and finally record Symphony No. 5 and Symphony No.6 (the 6th is the one which is completely unavailable :()
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 01:13:44 am »

The 15th can of course be downloaded from this site.

Oops, I forgot about that :-[ I would have not posted this had I remembered that ::) I must be losing it ::)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 01:32:42 am »

Doubt it ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 11:40:52 am »

The 15th was giving its 1st performance in Manchester, I believe. I have this symphony in my collection, but don't know the source it came from, nor do I know who are playing it.
I think an old Finnish friend of mine (no longer amongst us) send it to me, maybe 2 years ago. I have the 6th symphony also on the same cassette tape.

The 6th is a pretty dark symphony. It takes about 31 minutes. It's been recorded too loud. The first minutes are the worst.

About the 5th symphonyl Colin mentions, this was of course available on cd (Ondine ODE 765-2, from 1991).
It was coupled with the 7th. The Leipzig Radio SO played them under the baton of Max Pommer.

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 02:57:08 pm »

The Aho 15th first performance in Manchester-which is the one that can be downloaded from this site-is by the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra under Juanjo Mena.

Yes...I have the 5th on that Ondine cd. The missing one is the 6th. This is the symphony which BIS tried to record with an unnamed conductor who found that he couldn't handle it ::) ::)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 03:02:41 pm »

Pardon me :-[

I see that you have just uploaded the Aho 6th via Mediafire. Wonderful :)  Thank you so much :) :)

(Btw I have found Mediafire suddenly almost completely unuseable. The print size has been reduced to such tiny size that I cannot read anything on it. Has anyone else found this or has the answer to making it readable ??? ???)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 03:14:40 pm »

I have very obviously not woken up yet :-[ :-[

We actually already had this recording of the Aho 6th downloaded by someone else on UC. The performance is by the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra under a conductor who obviously could handle it-Jorma Panula. That recording is fine.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: