The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:54:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A mysterious piano concerto

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A mysterious piano concerto  (Read 446 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2013, 10:13:16 pm »

Back in 1979 I found myself one afternoon in a house in Albany NY, turing on the radio, and catching the opening of a piano concerto that was completely unfamiliar. I listened through, wondering what on earth it was. At the end, the announcer came on and named it as Bartok's first piano concerto. Which it wasn't. It would not be the first time that a programme presenter accidentally put on the wrong side of an LP. Question is: what recordings of Bartok's 1st existed in 1979 that had an obscure piece on the other side? Any ideas?

I have only once heard a piece since that sounded like my recollections of that broadcast, and that was one of the Khrennikov concertos, but Google does not reveal any Bartok-Khrennikov coupling.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest145
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 07:55:09 pm »

Interesting! I have a vague recollection of a coupling such as you mention from that time, but the details don't come to mind, and I don't own such a disc. I'll have to give it some thought.

By the way, I was living in Albany, NY, in 1979 also (moving away later that year). I'm pretty sure I can guess which radio station you were listening to.  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
oldfezzi
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:01:05 pm »

There was an lp coupling about the time of the First Piano Concerto with the Rhapsody for piano and orchestra, his opus 1 which is quite a different Bartok than the one that eventually emerged.

Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 03:19:25 pm »

Aha! Thanks for that suggestion!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: