The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:43:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Harris's 13th

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harris's 13th  (Read 3102 times)
guest145
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 02:08:15 pm »

The music for The Tempest should be looked at a bit differently than Tapiola, I believe. Personally, I love both works immensely. However, Tapiola is a much longer piece than any single movement of The Tempest and therefore affords much more time for development. As a taste of what an 8th Symphony may have been like, it's therefore a much more accurate barometer. The music for The Tempest was written to enhance and enrich a theatrical production and as such comes and goes in shorter spurts, underlining key scenes and using leitmotifs to characterize. Taken on its own terms, it's wonderful stuff. The wealth of invention and color is dazzling, the melodies are memorable, and the atmosphere he creates is vivid.

I have many recordings of the complete music, various suites, excerpts, and listen to them frequently. I have the utmost respect and fondness for The Tempest music. I also don't mean for this post to be an impassioned defense (where none is needed, I feel), rather an enthusiastic endorsement.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: