The Art-Music Forum
October 14, 2019, 02:10:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Harris's 13th

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harris's 13th  (Read 1291 times)
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2013, 05:42:33 pm »

Isn't it great that the Harris thirteenth has got it's own thread?!! That in itself is quite an achievement! Shocked Grin

The Khatchaturian is rather good fun now & again,especially in the old Stokowski recording. Very Vincent Price,who was,incidentally,very funny on the itv4 repeat of Tommy Cooper,the other day! Definitely,one to put on full blast with plenty of bass! (The Tommy Cooper,I mean! Grin)
That aside,I can't help wishing,sometimes,that Harris had stopped at No3. I think it might have enhanced his posthumous reputation. As it is,numerous posts on the GMG thread always lead to the same conclusions, ie; that No3 is the best one! A few people seem to think that No7 is even better,while No 6 has it's admirers. The others are not as good,with No5,usually in the lead! No 8 & 11 have some good points & maybe,the Symphony 1933. The rest are okay,at best! (Although,I know the Second has one admirer!) And one member who thinks Harris is not even worth bothering about,at all! But all this after page after page after page after page of exchanges as to whether there is any merit in Harris,beyond his famous third?!!! Unlike Walter Piston,William Schuman or David Diamond (for example) where people are actually  posting about their enjoyment & admiration of the actual music itself!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: