The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:21:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lesser known followers of RVW

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lesser known followers of RVW  (Read 3731 times)
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2013, 11:53:03 pm »

Any suggestion?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 12:50:37 am »

Amongst British composers the stand-out would, probably, be Stanley Bate :)
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 06:06:37 am »

I suppose Ruth Gipps (who studied with him and is clearly influenced), Patrick Hadley and Arthur Butterworth (less obviously influenced, but a pupil)
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 08:58:25 am »

Depends what you mean by "follower". I wouldn't have associated Bate's music with RVW. One composer who has been suggested as strongly influenced by RVW is actually Joly Braga Santos in Portugal.

Incidentally, my father once had tea with RVW.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 04:20:54 pm »

The Stanley Bate Viola Concerto has been described(or criticised) as almost excessively VW-like. Bate was, of course, another pupil of RVW.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 05:49:51 pm »

he Stanley Bate's Viola Concerto has been described(or criticised) as almost excessively VW-like. Bate was, of course, another pupil of RVW.

I would not have said the same about his symphonies or Piano Concerto, but I take your word for it.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 12:08:16 am »

Depends what you mean by "follower". I wouldn't have associated Bate's music with RVW. One composer who has been suggested as strongly influenced by RVW is actually Joly Braga Santos in Portugal.

Influenced by RVW is more proper?However thanks.
 :)
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 10:44:33 am »

Having listened again to the Bate viola concerto, I would agree that it is certainly influenced by VW (especially the first two movements), and that the symphonies are not so far as I can hear.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 09:50:18 pm »

An important event that has escaped most biographers so far, I regret to observe. Can you please tell us about it in some more detail?  :)

Having listened again to the Bate viola concerto, I would agree that it is certainly influenced by VW (especially the first two movements), and that the symphonies are not so far as I can hear.

Completely agreed, though his influence in even the viola concerto appears exaggerated. I think some people refer to it as a 'tribute' to RVW and that might be the case, given their relationship. Musical references might be more unintentional - and RVW never wrote something for viola that could have served as a model, not even the Suite for viola and small orchestra of a few years before (I doubt whether Bate had ever heard it).
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 10:50:46 pm »

It would be rather extraordinary if the young Stanley Bate....and he was 29 years old in 1940 when he wrote his 3rd Symphony.....had not absorbed some of his influences from RVW, his teacher. There have been composers who have rejected their teachers' influences and have claimed that they learned nothing from them-including some famous British composers ;D

Having just re-listened to the Bate 3rd I can hear echoes of the RVW 4th and the influence of the Walton 1st. There are also some passages which are almost Rubbra-esque (although Rubbra had only composed three of his symphonies prior to 1940).

I am not criticising Bate or accusing him of being an RVW-epigone. Far from it :) But I would find it quite remarkable if one could assert that Bate was not influenced by the older composer.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 07:44:52 am »

Without a doubt...Ruth Gipps is certainly a gifted follower..and no political correctness please....
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 07:53:43 am »

I suppose Ruth Gipps (who studied with him and is clearly influenced), Patrick Hadley and Arthur Butterworth (less obviously influenced, but a pupil)

Gipps is certainly a follower and a great unsung one..
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 04:09:40 pm »

An important event that has escaped most biographers so far, I regret to observe. Can you please tell us about it in some more detail?  :)

I know this was a tongue-in-cheek comment, but nevertheless, I would reflect that this is the sort of thing one regrets one didn't ask more about when it was still possible to do so.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 11:54:43 pm »

Gipps is certainly a follower and a great unsung one..
I esteem highly Ruth Gipps but hope for some suggestion in Galles or Scotland for instance.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 12:58:27 am »

William Wordsworth was English but lived in Scotland for much of his life.

Vaughan Williams certainly admired Wordsworth's music and there may be something of the older composer in Wordsworth (as well as some Sibelius).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: