The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:11:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Graham Cohen

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Graham Cohen  (Read 257 times)
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2013, 12:15:01 pm »

Now there's a name that few of you will have heard of !

I'll come clean - he's a 'child prodigy' composer, discovered on YT, and I happen to enjoy what I've heard, which includes a symphony (No. 10, apparently !) played by a serious orchestra.

Yes, there's a point to this ! Obviously many young composers spring up, show promise and ultimately join the ranks of the 'unsung'...or find something else to do with their lives.
How many well-known composers would expect to have composed 10(!) symphonies before their 14th birthday, and is it a good sign to have done so, or just our celebrity culture bulking up the 'feel good factor' for audiences by giving a serious performance to a precocious piece of work that isn't really up to much.
Would be most interested for some of our resident expert members to have a listen on YT and give an opinion on that - and indeed on the whole 'child prodigy' theme, for composers or players. Are there any other very youthful composers we should seriously be watching for the finished article in 20+ years' time ?

So, a slightly new topic for you...anyone remotely interested ?
Report Spam   Logged

Clive

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

shamus
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 02:58:04 pm »

I have also enjoyed Graham Cohen's work. Another young composer is Emily Bear, also featured on YouTube. And even if the music isn't maybe profound, some of it is remarkably well put together, and such talent is amazing to me. I think I was still picking my nose when I was 10! Then there is Alexander Pryor, of whom perhaps too much was made who composes large not terribly pointed pieces in my view, and some reports have him acting pretty arrogant at times, so I hope he can overcome that and at least become a skilled conductor. Jay Greenberg seems to have come out of his adolescence with a lot to say and I have really liked his work. There are many stories of these wunderkinde and many performances, etc. on YouTube, just hope most of them can grow up safely to a happy adulthood. Jim
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 04:30:53 pm »

I have also enjoyed Graham Cohen's work. Another young composer is Emily Bear, also featured on YouTube. And even if the music isn't maybe profound, some of it is remarkably well put together, and such talent is amazing to me. I think I was still picking my nose when I was 10! Then there is Alexander Pryor, of whom perhaps too much was made who composes large not terribly pointed pieces in my view, and some reports have him acting pretty arrogant at times, so I hope he can overcome that and at least become a skilled conductor. Jay Greenberg seems to have come out of his adolescence with a lot to say and I have really liked his work. There are many stories of these wunderkinde and many performances, etc. on YouTube, just hope most of them can grow up safely to a happy adulthood. Jim
I was trying to remember the name of that prodigy composer kid that was being bandied about a few years back!  Thanks for reminding me of Jay Greenberg!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: