The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:25:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The Dozen Most Neglected on CD Non-British 20th Century Symphonists

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Dozen Most Neglected on CD Non-British 20th Century Symphonists  (Read 7401 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 12:47:39 am »

Fernström is certainly deserving of more attention. His chamber music (string quartets, mainly) has been reasonably represented on CD, but we definitely need to hear more of his orchestral output. Actually, three of his symphonies have been recorded (the 6th, 11th and 12th).

Oh, now where is the 11th recorded? I only knew about the 6th and 12th (and the string quartets; well, a few of them).

I first came across Fernström via his Concertino for Flute, Small Orchestra and Women's Chorus (!).

http://composers.gulabin.com/
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2013, 01:07:13 am »

I could not resist the shameless plug ;D
Report Spam   Logged
jimmosk
Level 1

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2013, 02:50:41 am »

Cowell: I would love to like his symphonic output after hunting it for so long, but I keep being disappointed. Considering how striking his piano music is, his orchestral music, such as I have been able to hear, seems anaemic.

The thing about Henry Cowell is, most of his orchestral music dates from later in his career, when he had (mostly) abandoned the enfant terrible experiments he was most famous for - so some of it feels like warmed-over Romanticism.
Although in one way he was still pioneering: a good number of those later works explore World Music to a degree seldom seen at that time, which accounts for symphonies based on Icelandic music, Indian music, etc.
Report Spam   Logged

Jim Moskowitz / The Unknown Composers Page / http://kith.org/jimmosk
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 04:40:48 am »

Fernstrom was one of my favorites, till I heard this:

- [link adjusted to the short form]

John Fernström - Work: Symphony No.11, Op.77 "Utan mask" (1945)

Mov.I: Inför hämningar och komplex: Andante grave - Allegro 00:00
Mov.II: Grubblaren i natten: Adagio espressivo 15:16
Mov.III: Tokfan: Allegro con burla 23:33
Mov.IV: Ljus dag: Allegro grazioso 27:38
Chorus and Orchestra: Lunds Ungdomskör och Stadsorkester
Conductor: John Fernström, the composer
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:22:44 am by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 04:49:03 am »

Eshpai...derivative...to who? That is rather dismissivef or a such a fine composer IMHO.
He music sparkles..
Try this:
  [link adjusted to the short form]

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:19:08 am by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 05:10:10 am »

Mov.I: Inför hämningar och komplex: Andante grave - Allegro 00:00
Mov.II: Grubblaren i natten: Adagio espressivo 15:16
Mov.III: Tokfan: Allegro con burla 23:33
Mov.IV: Ljus dag: Allegro grazioso 27:38
Chorus and Orchestra: Lunds Ungdomskör och Stadsorkester
Conductor: John Fernström, the composer

"......was one of my favorites" ???  Past tense ???

Anyway.....huge thanks for the link :) Now downloading :)
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 08:52:34 am »

Eshpai...derivative...to who? That is rather dismissivef or a such a fine composer IMHO.
He music sparkles..

Listen to the central section of the 1st movement of Symphony no 2, which is a lift from Prokofiev's 3rd. There is also a point in either the 4th or 5th (can't remember which) about two pages long, which is by Boris Blacher. And those are just the obvious cases, so I suspect the existence of more.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 01:17:38 pm »

Cowell: I would love to like his symphonic output after hunting it for so long, but I keep being disappointed. Considering how striking his piano music is, his orchestral music, such as I have been able to hear, seems anaemic.

The thing about Henry Cowell is, most of his orchestral music dates from later in his career, when he had (mostly) abandoned the enfant terrible experiments he was most famous for - so some of it feels like warmed-over Romanticism.
Although in one way he was still pioneering: a good number of those later works explore World Music to a degree seldom seen at that time, which accounts for symphonies based on Icelandic music, Indian music, etc.
I quite like some of his orchestral music! :o ;D But imho the following 'orchestral' cds are probably all you need (in order of entertainment level,not merit! ;D ):

'Persian Set' Manhattan CO/Clark Koch
'American Piano Concertos' col legno
Syms 11,15,Ongaku (etc)      Louisville orch/Whitney first edition
His Fifth symphony (OOP) is the best one I've heard,to date. Quite nice,but nothing to rave about!. The Koch cd is good quality light music. The col legno is very well performed & recorded & possibly,the best evidence for Cowell as any kind of orchestral maverick of merit! Quite good,wacky,noisy,fun,now & again! ;D Dong! Dong! Dong!Dong! etc,etc!! I pity the poor piano!!! :o ;D The Louisville cd,includes the Eleventh symphony,which has some eerily,striking moments,but the level of inspiration is frustratingly uneven. The ancient old mono recording probably gives the piece more atmosphere than it actually deserves!
His icelandic symphonies are peculiarly un-icelandic!! Memo! Stick to Jon Leifs!! Or,even Bjork!!! ;D ;D
The Mode cds are great!! The 2cd set is frustratingly deleted,but the 'Dancing with Henry' one is still available & along with his Piano music,strikes me as Cowell at his best.
Do we need anything more?! Unless there really is something incredible out there (and judging by those Botstein downloads & well done to him,by the way) probably not!! :(

Put on the Louisville cd after posting this. Must admit,after slagging off it's content,I'm quite enjoying it! :o This always happens after I post something like this!! :(

Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2013, 05:53:05 pm »

His icelandic symphonies are peculiarly un-icelandic!! Memo! Stick to Jon Leifs!! Or,even Bjork!!! ;D ;D

Is his Icelandic symphony available anywhere? I know there used to be an old CRO (?) LP, which I never got to hear.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2013, 06:25:34 pm »

Actually,I can't stand Bjork!! :o ;D
Regarding,his,so called, 'Icelandic'. I downloaded this from Amazon some time ago. I Must say,I wasn't particularly impressed by it,but maybe it was the sound quality? Thanks ::) to the posts on this thread I have been having another listen to my Cowell cds. While,I quite enjoyed the first two,I must admit the first one to really make an impression was the Mode cd,'Dancing with Henry'.
Anyway, i musn't be turning this into a Henry Cowell thread! My advice to anyone contemplating a Cowell purchase,is like Gauk;stick to his piano,and (imo) chamber/instrumental music,especially the Mode & (excellent)Naxos cds.
By the way,I noticed a very enthusiastic review/article about Cowell on the Los Angeles Times website (Critics Notebook:Swed,2010). While I can see what he means about the situation in Denmark,I'm not sure you can compare Cowell to some of the composers they have been recording there,of whom,I suppose,Langgaard,would be the most notable example. Apart from the fact that Cowell's maverick status was self imposed,I just don't think any of the symphonies I have heard are as interesting as even Langgaard's worst! :( [Final edit! ;D ]

Think I'll relax to some Rosenberg or,maybe some Jon Leifs,later! ;D

Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2013, 08:09:41 pm »

- [link adjusted to the short form]

This just keeps crashing for me about 10 mins in.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2013, 04:39:31 am »

I have the Cowell Symphonies Nos. 7 and 16 on an old CRI cd.

No problems with the Fernstrom recording either.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 01:35:48 pm »

I have the Cowell Symphonies Nos. 7 and 16 on an old CRI cd.
I thought you might! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 11:07:34 pm »

CRI is what I meant! I was aware of that as an LP way back when, but for reasons now forgotten, could not get hold of a copy.

I just listened to Cowell 8 and Cowell 9 on some atrocious recordings from the other place (78s?), and I can't see anyone rushing to make modern recordings. Perfectly attractive, but essentially light music with a symphonic label.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2013, 01:20:14 pm »

The recording in questions of Cowell's 8th Symphony is the only one ever made, as far as I know. It's from a very rare private LP of the work's premiere. A poor recording of a poor performance. As a compulsive completist, I'm grateful to have it, but even I have to admit that my life would not suffer if the work were never recorded again. Not as totally bereft of inspiration as Roy Harris' 13th Symphony, but not too far off, either.

I should mention that I like much of Cowell. The piano music is certainly the pinnacle of his inspiration, but I also very much enjoy the 4th and 11th Symphonies, and other works have a certain charm -- Ancient Desert Drone, Saturday Night at the Firehouse, Tales of Our Countryside.

Certainly, no need for a Cowell symphony cycle from anyone, but it would be nice to fill in the gaps with some concert recordings of the remaining unavailable symphonies and some orchestral works.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: