The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:08:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The Dozen Most Neglected on CD Non-British 20th Century Symphonists

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Dozen Most Neglected on CD Non-British 20th Century Symphonists  (Read 7405 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: February 18, 2013, 04:54:53 am »

An Ugly title, I admit :-[

Criteria: composers who wrote more than two symphonies but who do not have a symphonic series on cd or in the pipeline(eg Henk Badings or Edvin Kallstenius or Johan Nepomuk David) and who are now deceased!

MY twelve would be:

1. Hilding Rosenberg
2. David Diamond
3. George Rochberg
4. Maximilian Steinberg
5. Grazyna Bacewicz
6. Klaus Egge
7. Leon Orthel
8. Ernest Pingoud
9. Malcom Williamson
10. Willem Pijper
11. Paul von Klenau
12. Erland von Koch

These are NOT in any kind of order and, no doubt, others could add other names, particularly from Eastern Europe(the Czech Republic, Rumania, Latvia, Estonia, Russia etc).
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Paulp
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 09:24:24 pm »

If I may add a few extra names who might fit your criteria:

Henry Cowell
Leo Sowerby
Nikolai Karetnikov
Alemdar Karamanov
Mario Zafred (my only contact with his music was hearing his 8th Symphony while still a kid in Italy back in the 1970s)

I'm sure there are others out there; I may add a few more names should they come to mind.
Report Spam   Logged
Paulp
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:26:21 pm »

Just thought of two more:

Krzysztof Meyer
Jean Rivier
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 02:28:57 am »

I could agreed with Henry Cowell-although his output was decidedly uneven-and Jean Rivier-although half of his eight symphonies are for strings alone.

On futher reflection though I would probably substitute the Dane Niels Viggo Bentzon for Paul von Klenau.

And if we are considering American symphonists who do not have an integral set of symphonic recordings then the names of composers like
Walter Piston, Peter Mennin, Paul Creston and Vincent Persichetti would also come very much into the frame. One can collect all of their symphonies (bar Creston's 6th) but not in an integral set.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 02:37:44 am »

Nice lists, Colin and Paul! I would also like to add Janis Ivanovs. Ten of his twenty-one symphonies have made it onto CD (on Campion, Marco Polo and Naxos)-eleven if you count the obscure recording of no. 14 on a Latvian Music Information Centre set. Most of the other ones are available to download here, but with the Campion discs fast going out of print, it would be nice to have an integral set of Ivanovs' symphonies rather than having to jump around so much to hear them. He is quite a fine symphonist, after all :)

Paul-you mentioned Krzysztof Meyer. I've been intrigued by him and see there are a few recordings out there of his music. Could you be so kind as to describe his compositional style to me? Judging from reviews I've read, his music sounds rather "advanced" for my tastes. But who knows.....
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 03:06:14 am »

Only an extract:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:23:22 am by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 04:02:07 am »

For starters:
Alexander Raichev's 6 symphonies
Andrei Eshpai's 9 Symphonies
Arnold Rosner's 8 symphonies (please..please)
Gerorge Rochberg's 6 symphonies
George Antheil's 6 symphonies

And certainly Jaques Hetu's 5!!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 11:38:54 am »

I heard a download of Cowell's Fifth symphony conducted by Howard Hanson,the other day. Rather nice. One for lovers of American mavericks,I would think! No11 has some striking orchestration,but it's a bit uneven & more like a suite. The others I've heard are less interesting,but the sound quality didn't help! I think some of his music for smaller instrumental forces is more interesting. The Mode cds are especially good. Not sure a complete 'symphonic' cycle is justified,however! He's just not that kind of composer. I quite like some of his music,though.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 02:32:02 pm »

I would also like to add Janis Ivanovs. Ten of his twenty-one symphonies have made it onto CD (on Campion, Marco Polo and Naxos)-eleven if you count the obscure recording of no. 14 on a Latvian Music Information Centre set. Most of the other ones are available to download here, but with the Campion discs fast going out of print, it would be nice to have an integral set of Ivanovs' symphonies rather than having to jump around so much to hear them. He is quite a fine symphonist, after all Smiley

I heartily agree! Unfortunately, I think the main reason for the lack of a complete cycle of Ivanovs' symphonies is insufficient sales. Naxos' cycle probably died for that reason. The demise of Campion's cycle is more complex -- I believe they were prepared to continue the cycle, but could not come to terms with Latvian Radio over licensing costs for the archival recordings they were using for the cycle. An industry insider told me that both parties were likely to blame, but probably more so the owner of Campion.

Frankly, I don't care much for the Naxos performances in the Ivanovs series. To me, Yablonsky doesn't really understand Ivanovs' style and was a poor choice for the series. The Campion performances are much more idiomatic. I would be thrilled to have Vasily Sinaisky undertake an Ivanovs cycle. Not likely, though, considering his current popularity and likely cost. Any wealthy sponsors out there?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 02:41:41 pm »

For starters:
Alexander Raichev's 6 symphonies
Andrei Eshpai's 9 Symphonies
Arnold Rosner's 8 symphonies (please..please)
Gerorge Rochberg's 6 symphonies
George Antheil's 6 symphonies

And certainly Jaques Hetu's 5!!

The Rosner would certainly be interesting :)

George Antheil ??? ??? Most of his symphonies have been recorded by CPO. Symphony No.2-partly reused for Archipelago Rhumba- and the Tragic Symphony were withdrawn.
There is still the Symphony in F of 1925-26 I suppose.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 03:06:05 pm »

Let's also introduce a touch of realism here (as they used to say, dismissively, in "another place").

A composer who wrote well in excess of, say, ten symphonies is simply not going to get a recorded set in the current financial climate.

So that rules Ivanovs, Karamanov, Cowell and Bentzon right out....and, probably, David Diamond too :( :(

Yes..you may say...but look at Weinberg; he wrote more than twenty symphonies. The only reason we look like getting a complete Weinberg cycle is through the excellent co-operation between Naxos and Chandos: a previously unheard of phenomenon but one, sadly, not likely to catch on.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 04:13:07 pm »

And Hovhaness! ;D Anyway,the rotters won't record one of my favourites! Symphony No 8 'Arjuna'!! :(
Glad Antheil got a look in. I find his music fascinating. The cpo cycle is so good,a new one is scarcely essential.
(Edited,slightly! ;D)

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 04:34:24 pm »

Hovhaness ???

An amazingly large number of his symphonies have actually made it to cd-around 30 I think ::)

Probably mostly financed by the composer himself.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 05:42:01 pm »

No,I was pulling your leg,Dundonnell! ;D Any more & they'd be up to the roof! :o I just want a recording of the eighth,please! ;D (I have the Radio 3 performance on a tape,but Hovhaness is supposed to have made a better one! Anyone got it?! :)) Five or six Hovhaness symphonies are quite enough & very,very nice,too....the rest all sound the same,and goodness I've tried!! Love the names though! The Vishnu could do with a new recording though. The one on Crystal is a bit thin & elderly! (Edited! :))
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 02:57:36 am »

Let's also introduce a touch of realism here (as they used to say, dismissively, in "another place").

A composer who wrote well in excess of, say, ten symphonies is simply not going to get a recorded set in the current financial climate.

So that rules Ivanovs, Karamanov, Cowell and Bentzon right out....and, probably, David Diamond too :( :(

Yes..you may say...but look at Weinberg; he wrote more than twenty symphonies. The only reason we look like getting a complete Weinberg cycle is through the excellent co-operation between Naxos and Chandos: a previously unheard of phenomenon but one, sadly, not likely to catch on.

You are quite correct, Colin, in saying that we need to think a bit more realistically here. I very much doubt we will ever see a complete cycle of the Ivanovs symphonies on disc, let alone the Karamanov or Bentzon :( But yes indeed, the ever-growing Weinberg co-op cycle is running impressively smoothly :) I truly hope other record companies take note of this!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: