The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:49:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Heinrich Schulz-Beuthen - Symphony Nš 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heinrich Schulz-Beuthen - Symphony Nš 5  (Read 327 times)
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:49:47 am »

I came across this highly romantic work, that includes an organ next to the orchestra
About Heinrich Schulz-Beuthen (1838-1915) there is more information on Wikipedia.
His Toteninsel (almost same date of the Rachmaninov work) is available on YT as well
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 04:09:29 pm by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kyjo
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 08:03:30 pm »

Thanks for bringing Schulz-Beuthen up (perhaps you should change the thread title), Roelof! Those two orchestral works that are on YT come from this excellent Sterling CD, which is highly recommended to those who enjoy highly charged late-romantic music!

The music featured on this disc is quite forward-looking and is more influenced by the New German School of Liszt and Wagner than by Brahms and his circle (as the majority of German composers at the time were). According to his Wikipedia article, Schulz-Beuthen composed no less than ten symphonies (of which the first and the last remain incomplete): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_Schulz-Beuthen

He spent his last years in an insane asylum and many of his compositions were left unpublished at his death. Sadly, it is believed that most of his manuscripts were destroyed in the fire bombing of Dresden in 1945 (a tragic occurrence which destroyed many other manuscripts) :( So, I doubt we shall be able to hear much else of his music, which is a real shame since what has been recorded of his is quite promising :( It also might be worth mentioning that Guild recorded some of his solo piano music, which is generally more laid back in style than the orchestral works Sterling recorded:

:)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 01:06:03 pm »

Why would the link need to be removed? I believe the "remove the link if the recording is commercially available" policy only applies to music that is uploaded to this site.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 01:16:55 pm »

The work is available and taken from the  cd you mentioned yourself, Kyjo. It's not exactly the same as posting it in this forum, but it comes close, I think.

Report Spam   Logged
oldfezzi
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 04:33:19 pm »

As long as the link to YT isn't posted, I don't see why you can't say that it's there.  Folks who are interested can do their own search and be responsible for listening to it.

Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 09:19:25 pm »

Quite true :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: