The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:25:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Anatoli Garšnek (1918-1998), Estonian composer

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anatoli Garšnek (1918-1998), Estonian composer  (Read 214 times)
kyjo
« on: February 11, 2013, 03:16:30 am »

I came across these 10 Pieces for solo piano of Estonian composer Anatoli Garšnek (1918-1998) on YT:

Intrigued, I sought out his Estonian Wikipedia article, which lists four symphonies, a Sinfonietta, other orchestral works, as well as an abundance of chamber and vocal music to his credit: http://et.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoli_Gar%C5%A1nek

Here is a brief bio of Garšnek from YT:

He graduated from the Tallinn Conservatory in 1950 as a student of Heino Eller. Thereafter he continued his composition studies at the Moscow Conservatory with S. Bogatyrioff. In 1950 he became a Master of Arts.

Since 1954 to his death Garshnek worked at the Tallinn Conservatory, since 1986 as a professor. From 1968 to 1978 he was the head of the department of composition and musicology at the conservatory. His students have been Anti Marguste, Hans Hindpere, Raimond Lätte, Enn Vetemaa, Mati Kuulberg, René Eespere, Mare Pőldmäe, Toomas Siitan and others.

Garshnek's music is closely related to the folklore of his birthplace, Setumaa in the southern Estonia. Viis setu laulu [Five Setu Songs], a cycle for voice (1953) and Peipsi laulud [Peipsi Songs], a suite for chorus (1961) can be the representatives of his relation to Setu folk music. Specific national traits can also be found in Garshnek's large scale works, The First Symphony (1953) and Piano Quintet (1955) among them. As a result of numerous expeditions to Setumaa organized for collecting folk music there are many Setu influences in the works of Garshnek's students too.

Having enjoyed the piano pieces, which are written in a fully tonal style somewhat reminiscent of Prokofiev, I was wondering if anyone here would happen to have any of his works to share :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest145
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 01:40:35 pm »

Yet another composer who has until now been just a name to me. The bio sounds intriguing and I would also be very interested in hearing his symphonic music.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: