The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:37:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Louis Glass

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Louis Glass  (Read 3631 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2014, 01:44:37 pm »

I like the third,but I wouldn't go so far as to describe it as extraordinary! Anyway,received opinion informs me that my the Fifth should be my favourite!! I'm not so sure about the others,although I like parts of No 4. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt until I hear a better recording. From what I have heard of the samples of the new Cpo recording of the third I may be able to make up my mind in the near future!
While I would like to replace my Plovdiv recordings with something better,I still won't be rushing to order the Cpo third. Certainly not until the price drops. As much as I like what I have heard of No's 3 & 5,they aren't so wonderful that I want to pre-order or pay through the nose. As to the remainder? I will approach them with caution. I don't want a repeat of my experience with Rangstrom. I bought all three. I tried hard to find some merit in those scores. I found them bombastic and disliked the claustrophobic atmosphere they conveyed. After a while I took them to a charity shop. Apparently,everything I took in there sold in a matter of hours. Maybe someone enjoyed them? I hope so!

I accept your point about the Plovdiv. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to knock them. In fact,I admire their enthusiasm. The right conductor can do wonders for an orchestra. And there is no doubt a boxy sounding recording like that would reduce the enjoyment of even the best performance. That said,I still think that Glass's late romantic muse would benefit from a finer orchestra. Until the Plovdiv can find a more inspired conductor and recording engineers worthy of their abilities they are not going to be high on my list of orchestras I want to hear..........at least in the form of a commercial recording I will want to play more than once! Of course,like some other provincial or amateur orchestras,they could provide an enjoyable night out!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2014, 02:41:50 pm »

Apparently,the Plovdiv really do rock!!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jon-lord-doogie-white-rock-bulgaria-s-plovdiv-video-footage-available/
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 04:40:36 am »

how exciting??
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 09:47:58 am »

I'm open to all kinds of music,within reason,but the mention of Jon Lord reminds me of that Malcolm Arnold Deep Purple collaboration. Despite being into Emerson Lake & Palmer at the time (and still quite like them) I was not enthralled! 
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2014, 11:09:07 pm »

I'm open to all kinds of music,within reason,but the mention of Jon Lord reminds me of that Malcolm Arnold Deep Purple collaboration. Despite being into Emerson Lake & Palmer at the time (and still quite like them) I was not enthralled! 
Sorry, I was thinking that they were somehow redeemed from mediocrity by doing rock.
I like some 50's - 90's popular music as well, but today's pop musical culture is generally depressing to me.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2015, 03:40:04 pm »

After enduring the Plovdiv Louis Glass cycle,I decided that if ever a really good recording and performance of a Louis Glass symphony (or symphony) was released on cd I would buy it! Well,I didn't....not straight away;partly for financial reasons and also because they don't get released in the UK until a few months later,which gave me an excuse! Well,Presto dropped the prices for Cpo,and I had the pre-order for their latest Spohr release (symphonies 7 & 9) on order......and then I read Hurwitz's review,describing Glass as a bore (well,he should ****?!!!). Anyway,as usual,after the Hurwitz slags a release off I placed my order!
Well,I'm glad I bought it! I quite liked Glass's third symphony before......even in the Plovdiv performance! There was something 'there' and it did have one really good (imho) tune! The good news,as far as I'm concerned,is that I absolutely love it in the Cpo performance. In terms of the playing and recording quality there is simply no comparison. I now think is an absolutely gorgeous, late romantic symphony;full of lovely melodies,atmosphere and colourful orchestration. And I like the suite coupled with it,too. Wonderful. This one got left on repeat and the proof of the pudding for me,is that what I heard actually stayed in my mind,afterwards. And in a good way....not like ABBA!
Wonderful! I thought it would sound better,but Louis Glass's third played and recorded by a really good orchestra and recording really surprised me. This will get played allot,here!!
I do wonder what they will make of the other symphonies,though. No doubt the Fifth will sound stunning;but No's 2 & 4 are big,ambitious works and while I was intrigued by No 4,I'm not sure I was too taken by No 2? And No 6 is a strange one?!!!! Either way,I can't wait to see what they can do!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2016, 01:34:52 pm »

News that Cpo will be releasing a second volume in their Joseph Holbrooke series has given me hope that another volume of their Louis Glass cycle may eventually appear. While I was less than impressed by (and that's putting it mildly) by the Plovdiv efforts,I did feel the excrable performances and dire recording quality was definitely doing his music no favours. I did,however,like some of what I heard,and I was intrigued enough to feel that I should give this composer another chance,when and if,something better came along. I would also put Tournemire and to a lesser extent,Gaze Cooper in this category. To my surprise Cpo unexpectedly came up trumps,with what was,apart from the Fifth,the Louis Glass symphony I like the most. In fact,I was listening to the Cpo cd last night and in the new recording I think that the third symphony is revealed as a very enjoyable and lovely late romantic symphony indeed. I also enjoyed the Summer Life (Sommerliv) Suite with which it is coupled. At 29' 45,it is possibly even more musically inspired than the Symphony with which it is coupled. Either way,I definitely enjoyed both;and what a difference a really good performance and recording makes. To use a hoary old cliche;the third symphony really does,at least to my ears,sound like a different work to the one on the Danacord cd. I notice,looking at the back of the Cpo cd,that the recordings took place in Sept 1-4,2009. The recording was released on cd in 2014. Hopefully,it won't be too long before a follow up is announced. I would particularly like to hear this team in a performance of the Fifth and Fourth,which was the symphony that interested me most after the third and fifth. It is obviously a very ambitious,large scale creation,and while I was not exactly convinced,I did like parts of it,and I did feel that a really decent,and dare I say (and I really don't want to be nasty) competent performance might just win me over. Of course,if Cpo want to release one of the others,or more,first,fine! Just please Cpo,as Oliver Twist would say......... can I have some more?!! :( ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2016, 03:49:16 pm »

You know, we live in a world in which there is so much talk about the need for greater "transparency", in which government secrets are revealed through various and multiple leaked documents, yet there is one area where continuing and absolute secrecy remains: the release plans and schedules of certain record labels ::) Given that a recording of an orchestral work of substance will involve around 100 individuals-orchestra, conductor, recording engineers etc etc-it is astonishing that we are left floundering around on sites like this endlessly speculating about whether and when certain companies will finally get round to recording or issuing music which we have been told to expect or suspect might already have been recorded.

Perhaps it is indicative of a situation in which the market for classical music is so small that record companies live in terror that their rivals may release an alternative recording in the interim. If so then I would suggest it is ridiculous paranoia. The type of music we are talking about does not in most cases have orchestras or conductors or record companies lining up to put it on disc.

What therefore is precisely wrong about a company saying that they have already recorded a.b, c and d and will issue these over the next year or two ??? ???

Three examples (and they are each in respect of CPO I admit): you are right-the Louis Glass cd was issued in 2014 as Volume 1 of "The Complete Symphonies" but it was recorded in September 2009. So it took the company five years to get the recording onto cd and commercially available. Why ??? And....have the other symphonies been recorded ??? If so, when will they be released ???

The Symphonies Nos. 1 and 6 by Johann Nepomuk David were recorded by the Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra under Johannes Wildner in March 2011 but not released until 2014. According to Wildner's own website he has recorded Nos. 3 and 7. However, according to Mike Herman's National Discographies on Musicweb Nos. 2 and 4 have also been recorded. In fact Mike has provided us with the cd information: Nos. 2 and 4 are on CPO 777 577-2 and Nos. 3 and 7 on CPO 777 964-2. Have we had any indication from the company when these "advertised" discs will be released ??? Absolutely not :( Mike thought they would be released in 2015, yet here we are in August 2016.

My third example is the relatively recent release of the Symphonies Nos. 4 and 5 by Henk Badings. After the considerable hiatus following the previous release of Badings symphonies I wrote to the company a couple of years ago expressing the hope that they would go on recording Badings. They replied saying that they had no plans to do so. I told them that I regretted that decision. Then....up pop the Fourth and Fifth symphonies-recorded in Bochum in August 2012 ::) I was therefore given information which was........"misleading".

Do these companies not appreciate that their loyal customers, whose immense admiration and everlasting gratitude for neglected repertoire being recorded is repeatedly expressed, also just perhaps merit some consideration in being given at least some indication of perhaps just the YEAR we might actually get to hear the music they put on disc for us ??? ???
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2016, 10:54:30 pm »

Is it possible CPO does not itself know much in advance when a release is going to happen, - that it depends in some cases on rather more immediate circumstances, whatever those might be?  Alternatively, internal communications among company personnel may be less than ideally efficient, and CPO's public liaison unaware of what others therein could know quite definitively.

CPO's artistic vision and venturesomeness are apparently embedded in a business organization only erratically oriented around marketing acumen.  I'll accept that tradeoff quite readily, annoyance and discouragement as it sometimes provokes.

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2016, 11:53:08 pm »

Perhaps they have forgotten what they have actually already recorded ??? ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2016, 01:29:14 am »

Perhaps they have forgotten what they have actually already recorded ??? ;D

Yeah, - I'm increasingly forgetful of recordings I already have on my own shelves.

Wonder if they've ever re-recorded something they forgot they already did (but never issued) - like me purchasing a duplicate CD of what I'd bought years before.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2016, 11:10:14 am »

So that's why Chandos recorded another Bax cycle?!! ;D
Are all those umpteen Mahler,Dvorak,Beethoven symphony cycles and the seemingly endless stream of new recordings of Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique merely a symptom of mass amnesia on an industrial scale?!! As Private Eye would say.....I think we should be told!! ::)
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2016, 05:41:19 pm »

There's the cpo bashing again. I don't mind at all when and how they release X or Y, and if - in my life - I'll nearly miss the last release of, say Glass' symphonic cycle, so what....... I'm gone anyway.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2016, 07:02:32 pm »

Cheerio! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2016, 07:17:33 pm »

There's the cpo bashing again. I don't mind at all when and how they release X or Y, and if - in my life - I'll nearly miss the last release of, say Glass' symphonic cycle, so what....... I'm gone anyway.

I am sorry that you regard comments on CPO's recording and release policy as "bashing". Speaking personally, I have repeatedly expressed my immense gratitude to the company for adding so many obscure works to the catalogue. This does not-and should not-preclude asking questions about promised releases.

You may not mind when these promised release finally appear. That is your privilege. I am rather keen to have them sooner rather than later.....and certainly within my lifetime ::) That is my privilege. Clearly we disagree. Best leave it at that.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: