The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:03:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Louis Glass

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Louis Glass  (Read 3607 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2014, 01:44:37 pm »

I like the third,but I wouldn't go so far as to describe it as extraordinary! Anyway,received opinion informs me that my the Fifth should be my favourite!! I'm not so sure about the others,although I like parts of No 4. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt until I hear a better recording. From what I have heard of the samples of the new Cpo recording of the third I may be able to make up my mind in the near future!
While I would like to replace my Plovdiv recordings with something better,I still won't be rushing to order the Cpo third. Certainly not until the price drops. As much as I like what I have heard of No's 3 & 5,they aren't so wonderful that I want to pre-order or pay through the nose. As to the remainder? I will approach them with caution. I don't want a repeat of my experience with Rangstrom. I bought all three. I tried hard to find some merit in those scores. I found them bombastic and disliked the claustrophobic atmosphere they conveyed. After a while I took them to a charity shop. Apparently,everything I took in there sold in a matter of hours. Maybe someone enjoyed them? I hope so!

I accept your point about the Plovdiv. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to knock them. In fact,I admire their enthusiasm. The right conductor can do wonders for an orchestra. And there is no doubt a boxy sounding recording like that would reduce the enjoyment of even the best performance. That said,I still think that Glass's late romantic muse would benefit from a finer orchestra. Until the Plovdiv can find a more inspired conductor and recording engineers worthy of their abilities they are not going to be high on my list of orchestras I want to hear..........at least in the form of a commercial recording I will want to play more than once! Of course,like some other provincial or amateur orchestras,they could provide an enjoyable night out!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: