The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:58:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

USA composers influenced by RVW

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USA composers influenced by RVW  (Read 2006 times)
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2013, 05:08:21 pm »

I made this question in another topic but they are so numerous that IMHO is better a topic about this subject.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:29:23 pm »

I think both John Williams and Bernard Herrmann qualify as influenced by Vaughan Williams.  They are frequently under the spell of Vaughan Williams is his modal hormonies, pastoral tendencies, color, melodic and structural contours, etc.
Report Spam   Logged
Paulp
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:03:22 pm »

Peter Mennin was strongly influenced by RVW: his early Folk Overture (1945) could almost be an offshoot from the last movt. of the older composer's 4th Symphony, and there are moments like that in much of his work from the 1940s (though the 3rd Symphony [1946] also has strong echoes of Walton 1 to my ears). Thomas Canning also comes to mind: his Fantasia on a theme of Justin Morgan (recorded by both Howard Hanson and Stokowski) could almost be the Tallis Fantasia transplanted to the US. I suspect William Schuman was also influenced by that work, if some of the string sonorities in his 3rd Symphony (1941) are any indication. In more recent times, Claude Baker quotes quite brazenly from RVW's 4th Symphony in his orchestral "The Glass Bead Game" (1982).
Slightly off-topic, Howard Hanson went on record mentioning Holst as one of the composers he felt he had been strongly influenced by.
Report Spam   Logged
Buster
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:56:32 pm »

The Canning work is available via my blog here:

http://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/2009/06/american-music-for-strings.html

This record from Eastman and Howard Hanson also contains music by Peter Mennin's brother, Louis Mennini, as well as a suite by Arthur Foote.
Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 12:41:30 am »

An interesting question. I've thought about it, off and on, for a few weeks without coming to any particular insights.

I think of two characteristic and possibly influential VW sound strategies, having two contrary characteristics: (1) pre-Baroque counterpoint used as a permeating texture that is not confined merely to certain sections of the form (as with a fugato); (2) massed strings joining together, from the lowest registers to the highest registers, in organon, often using first-inversion chords. VW combined both of these strategies with a very personal mix of Renaissance-modal and third-related minor harmonies.

PaulP's discussion of Schuman's Symphony 3 is quite intriguing, and I can see the broad kinship between Schuman's contrapuntal textures in Symphony 3 and textures champoined by VW. I might even go further and suggest both a compositional and aesthetic kinship between the two composers' symphonies 8 and 9.

On the other hand, given the remarkable scoring of Schuman's Symphony 2 and his clear debt to Harris in the earlier published symphonies, I wonder whether the VW angle is indirect. Does anyone hear any trace of VW in Harris's first three symphonies? Did Schuman write about VW somewhere?
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 01:09:37 am »

In the strings use of this symphony i'd trace RVW
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 09:52:06 pm »

Piston's 'New England Sketches' at one point (opening of one movement 'Mountains') seems to quote from the opening of Vaughan Williams's contemporaneous Ninth Symphony.

Hovhaness's 'Mysterious Mountain' is clearly indepted to the Tallis Fantasia.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 04:31:37 pm »

Recently i listened Douglas Moore's Second.IMHO has a hint by RVW
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 12:59:50 am »

John Donald Robb symphonies:
http://www.robbtrust.org/jd-robb-the-man--his-music.html
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 07:29:44 am »

Thomas Canning also comes to mind: his Fantasia on a theme of Justin Morgan (recorded by both Howard Hanson and Stokowski) could almost be the Tallis Fantasia transplanted to the US.

This work goes beyond "influenced by" to "derivative of"!
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 12:23:58 am »

I seem to recall Arnold Rosner was influenced by RVW.  Perhaps the work I heard it is was Rosner's Symphony No. 5. 
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 09:28:48 pm »

I seem to recall Arnold Rosner was influenced by RVW.  Perhaps the work I heard it is was Rosner's Symphony No. 5. 

Yes, I'd agree with the VW influence in Rosner's fine score. I had a nice email correspondence with Rosner but sadly he passed away a while ago.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: