The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:43:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

USA composers influenced by RVW

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USA composers influenced by RVW  (Read 2005 times)
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2013, 12:41:30 am »

An interesting question. I've thought about it, off and on, for a few weeks without coming to any particular insights.

I think of two characteristic and possibly influential VW sound strategies, having two contrary characteristics: (1) pre-Baroque counterpoint used as a permeating texture that is not confined merely to certain sections of the form (as with a fugato); (2) massed strings joining together, from the lowest registers to the highest registers, in organon, often using first-inversion chords. VW combined both of these strategies with a very personal mix of Renaissance-modal and third-related minor harmonies.

PaulP's discussion of Schuman's Symphony 3 is quite intriguing, and I can see the broad kinship between Schuman's contrapuntal textures in Symphony 3 and textures champoined by VW. I might even go further and suggest both a compositional and aesthetic kinship between the two composers' symphonies 8 and 9.

On the other hand, given the remarkable scoring of Schuman's Symphony 2 and his clear debt to Harris in the earlier published symphonies, I wonder whether the VW angle is indirect. Does anyone hear any trace of VW in Harris's first three symphonies? Did Schuman write about VW somewhere?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: