The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:35:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Schubert 1928 Centennial Contest

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schubert 1928 Centennial Contest  (Read 1072 times)
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2013, 07:35:23 pm »

The discussion around several of Atterberg's works - including his 6th "Dollar" symphony - has lead us to
this new topic which merits its own thread. The most complete information about the contest, its composers, works
and jurors involved I could find is given under the following link (many thanks to Christoph Schlüren for his great web site!)

http://www.musikmph.de/musical_scores/vorworte/153.html#english

Copying the list from this resource, the winners of the regional competitions have been

• America:
       1. Charles Haubiel (Karma), 2. Louis Gruenberg (The Enchanted Isle), 3. Frederick Stahlberg (Symphony in E Minor)
  • Austria:
       1. Franz Schmidt (Third Symphony), 2.Hans Gál (1st Symphony ‚Sinfonietta‘), 3. Moni Freidsohn (Symphony in F sharp Minor)
  • Scandinavia:
       1. Kurt Atterberg (Sixth Symphony), 2. Ludvig Irgens Jensen, Norway (Passacaglia), 3. Jens Laursřn Emborg, Denmark (Third Symphony)
  • France:
       1. Henri Ryder and G. Guillemoteau, 2. Aristide Martz, 3. Otto Rippli, Switzerland – all of whom attempted to complete Schubert‘s ‚Unfinished‘
  • Germany:
       1. Hermann Wunsch (Fifth Symphony), 2. Kurt von Wolfurt (Variationen und Charakterstücke über ein Thema von Mozart), 3. Johann Berghout, Holland (Symphony in G Major)
  • England:
       1. Frank Merrick (a completion of the ‚Unfinished‘ considered by the final jury to be the most successful) and John St. Anthony Johnson (Pax vobiscum), 2. Havergal Brian (Gothic Symphony)
  • Italy:
       1. Guido Pannain (Sinfonietta), 2. Bonaventura Somma (a tone poem, according to Paul Rapoport possibly La Lampada Spenta), 3. Pietro Montani (a symphonic suite, probably Suite umoresca)
  • Poland:
       1. Czeslaw Marek (‚Sinfonia brevis‘, renamed ‚Sinfonia‘ in print), 2. Witold Maliszewski (completion of Schubert‘s ‚Unfinished‘), 3. Karol Jan Lampe (Symphony)
  • Spain:
       1. Oscar Esplá (Schubertiana), 2. Conrado del Campo (completion of Schubert‘s sketches)
  • Russia:
       1. Michail Tchernov (Symphony No. 3), 2. Vassily Kalafati (Légende)

I've got recordings of the following works:

• Atterberg - 6th Symphony (several on CD, I would be heavily interested in the recording of Atterberg himself conducting the Berlin Philharmonic!)
  • Brian - Gothic (several)
  • Schmidt - Symphony No.3 (several on CD)
  • Irgens-Jensen - Passacaglia (several on CD)
  • Marek - Sinfonia brevis (CD)
  • Gal - Symphony No.1 (CD)
  • Gruenberg - Enchanted Isle (commercial download)
  • Haubiel - Karma (commercial download from Pristine Classical)
  • Merrick - completion of the ‚Unfinished‘
  • St.Anthony Johnson - Pax Vobiscum
  • and of course: Weingartner - Symphony No.6 (CD, as mentioned in the above resource and in the cpo booklet, this work had remained unconsidered in the contest)

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 12:43:53 am »

You mean to tell me that Holbrooke's 4th Symphony wasn't involved in this somehow?  I know it's based on the Unfinished, rather than an actual attempt at a completion, but I would think that it was part of the competition.
Report Spam   Logged
albert
Level 3

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:59:23 am »

I thank much for the link.
About Brian Gothic role I have read yesterday....somewhere on the web (sorry) that he presented to the competition only the orchestral movements (is it possible? Anyway did the huge orchestral resources cope with the rules of a competition?).
A little curiousity: the winner of the Italian Regional competition Guido Pannain made a career....as a critic. He didn't avoid composition; I remember (vaguely) that in early '70s I heard in an actual concert a recent-then- Piano Concerto which I found unplesant.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 02:21:43 pm »

Two points: yes, the Holbrooke 4th was submitted for the competition, but I don't think it came anywhere in the winners. And the Brian was indeed only the first three, orchestral, movements. Brian always said the work could be performed like this as an alternative, though so far as I know, it's only once been given in this way (in 1976 under Sir Charles Groves).
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 12:35:22 am »

I have been curious about Kalafati for a while.  Does anyone know of any recordings of his work anywhere? He reportedly composed in the style of Rimsky-Korsakov, which is enough to make me want to hear him.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 02:42:58 am »

Vassily Kalafati (1869-1942) is certainly an intriguing composer. Here's his worklist, which contains a symphony, two strings quartets and other pieces: http://russiancomposers.org.uk/page575.html

Yes, the fact that he composed in the style of Rimsky is quite tantalizing! But, unfortunately, not a note of his music appears to have been recorded :(

On the bright side, his Symphony in A major and some solo piano pieces are help at IMSLP: http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Kalafati,_Vasily

:)

Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 05:10:54 am »

Vassily Kalafati (1869-1942) is certainly an intriguing composer. Here's his worklist . . .

Grove's gives fewer details about the works, but more about other matters: Vassily Pavlovich Kalafati was born at Yevpatoriya, Crimea, in 1869, and expired at Leningrad in 1942. In 1899 he graduated from the St. Petersburg Conservatorium, where he studied under Rimsky-Korsakoff. Later, between 1906 and 1929, he himself taught composition and "polyphony" there. His own pupils include Asaf'yev, Heino Eller, Kushnaryov, V. Shcherbachyov, A. Stepanian, Igor Stravinsky, A. Ter-Gevondyan and M. Yudina. His symphonic poem "A Legend," written in memory of Schubert, was awarded a prize at the International Schubert Competition. Kalafati published the dictionary "Sputnik Muzďkanta" (The musician's companion), at St Petersburg in 1911; he also made four-hand piano arrangements of Scryabine's Second Symphony, Lyadoff's "Enchanted Lake," "Kikimora" and "Baba-Yaga," as well as for Spendiaryan's opera "Almast." Kalafati's musical style comes close to the scholasticism of Rimsky-Korsakoff and the Belyayeff circle.

His compositions include:

Opera: Tsďgani [The Gypsies] (after Pushkin), 1941

Choral: Reve ta stogne [Howling and Groaning] (Ukr. text), mus. picture, chorus, orch, after 1917

Orch: Fantasy-Ov.; Polonaise; Sym., a; Zvyozdď Kremlya [The Stars of the Kremlin], march, wind band (1942), awarded a prize at a competition during the siege of Leningrad

Chbr. insts: Octet, ww, pf, str; Pf Qt; 2 pf sonatas; 2 str qts

Songs, choruses, folksong arrs.

[I have not ventured to expand all the abbreviations there!]
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: