The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:27:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)  (Read 4991 times)
guest54
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 06:42:18 am »

Norman Lebrecht, in the entry on Atterberg in his Companion to Twentieth-Century Music, makes the snide remark "His music was admired in Nazi Germany." What we are expected to understand by that I am not quite sure; I mean, if I say "Boulez's music was admired in Thatcher's Britain," the logic is the same but it says precisely nothing.

And for the record, I too enjoy Atterberg's music - although I would rather hear Delius.

Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 03:02:02 pm »

Norman Lebrecht, in the entry on Atterberg in his Companion to Twentieth-Century Music, makes the snide remark "His music was admired in Nazi Germany." What we are expected to understand by that I am not quite sure; I mean, if I say "Boulez's music was admired in Thatcher's Britain," the logic is the same but it says precisely nothing.
So was Wagner's, and with somewhat more relevance, if implications are the assumption.  Did that mean that Lebrecht was against Wagner's place in the repertoire?
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 03:04:56 pm »

Six works out of how many?  The whole competition was widely regarded as a joke. Columbia even demanded that Atterberg return the prize money.
The whole idea was vapid and stupid. Atterberg wipped the symphony out very quickly and was greatly amused at winning.
I wonder if he returned all the prize money but $1.00 and that is why it is called the Dollar Symphony?
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 05:03:18 pm »

He bought a brand new Ford. He refused to return any of the $10,000.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 07:51:22 pm »

I know I'm not the moderator, but would you gentlemen mind continuing this conversation in the thread about the contest itself? I'd like this thread to be mainly devoted to discussing Atterberg's music, if possible. Much appreciated :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 03:01:58 am »

Or the Ford Motor car thread?! ;D
A bit of a Beecham fan;I wouldn't mind hearing his recording of the 'Dollar' Symphony (what a great nickname? Leo Fall,composed an operetta, 'The Dollar Princess'.Catchy,isn't it?!The title,I mean! ;D). Unfortunately,the cd of his recording is currently deleted & sellers are asking allot more than a dollar!! :( Maybe,I'll find it somewhere else?! ::) I'm keen on early electrical (and acoustic) recordings of orchestral works (and opera) so my ears should be able to cope with the recordings technological limitations!
Report Spam   Logged
Classical Haggis
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 01:36:02 am »

This is my first post in this forum.   :o  Some of you may know me as Scots John from another forum.  I did not know this forum existed until I was did a search for Neeme Jarvi's up and coming Chandos release of Atterberg symphonies, about 20 minuites ago!  I recognize some names in here, so already I know I am in good company.  Whats more, there are other things in the Arts, like writing, which I am interested in, and I see this forum caters for that and other stuff too.  Brilliant.  I remain loyal to my original Forum, but by all the Gods there is a whole load of stuff to get into and talk about here now too!

Thread Duty:  Yes, I am EXTREMELY excited about this release!  Atterbergs music is outstanding and evocative in every way, my favourite of his symphonies being his 2nd (although they are all wondrous, one shouldn't really choose.)  I am more excited about this impending release than a hundred children who think they've seen the Loch Ness monster.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 05:07:05 am »

Wow! Excellent news-thanks very much for bringing this to our attention :) I had heard rumors of an Atterberg cycle with Jarvi but no conformation. Let's hope Chandos goes to record some of those unrecorded orchestral works as well! In any case, I'm thrilled that Chandos will help get Atterberg a larger audience. The fact that it's going to be an SACD is even more tantalizing...

I must confess to being rather underwhelmed by the news of the new Atterberg series from Jarvi on Chandos :(

There is-as has already been said (as I read, frantically, through the posts above ;D)- a perfectly fine Rasilainen series on CPO and, I would have thought, Atterberg-lovers would have already purchased that (I have).

Do we really need another ??? No doubt it will be superbly engineered but, quite frankly, I am beginning to think that Neeme Jarvi-for whom I have the greatest admiration-is perhaps now just "over the hill". His recent recordings have increasingly tended to be somewhat mechanical and less than inspired. Jarvi's tremendous achievement was to continually go where others had NOT been before. Now, he seems to be rehashing music already on disc.If he wanted to start on a symphonic cycle by a Swedish composer then there is the really obvious one just waiting to be tackled: HILDING ROSENBERG!!

Another Non-Scandinavian option would be to complete the series he started of the Maximilian Steinberg symphonies.

I know this will upset some people....but I get rather narky when I see duplications when there are still great composers whose music is not on disc.

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 05:09:29 am »

I should have added my welcome to my fellow Scot-John :) :)  (although I question his choice of username ;D ;D)

We are old friends from GMG :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 06:57:24 pm »

Agreed! It's as if it's staring them in the face! ::)

HILDING ROSENBERG!!!

But they just can't see it!
Meanwhile,we've got new a cd of Raff from the same conductor!! Well,that's nice,I suppose;but isn't the Tudor cycle good enough? And there's the Marco Polo cycle?!! This is all great for Raff & Atterberg admirers,but why not do someone who hasn't been done?!!

Meanwhile Bax has at least three complete symphonic cycles (TWO on Chandos,alone & his shopping lists!!! ;D) & the Lyrita ones! I love his music,but,"Hello! What about DANIEL JONES?!!!" ::) ::) :(

Before I annoy anyone,I should point out,I am pleased that Chandos have released some Atterberg symphonies (and Raff!! ;D) & since I don't actually have any Atterberg cds,this will be a great way to start an Atterberg collection! However...................... .......... ::)

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 08:08:12 pm »

The way in which record companies choose repertoire to record is a complete mystery at times to me ::)

Companies like CPO and Dutton obviously study the market, work out the areas of repertoire completely missing and plug the gaps. That is why we love them so much ;D

Chandos-on the other hand-appear to have adopted an oddly scatter-gun approach in recent years, duplicating not only repertoire that other companies have already covered but now duplicating their own ::) ::) As you say-Bax, first Thomson and then Handley. Sir Andrew Davis is now duplicating music already issued by the same company under the more than adequate baton of the late Richard Hickox. It is very, very strange!!

Now...there is a hugely convincing argument for different versions/interpretations of particular compositions BUT when we are talking about rare repertoire which has been recorded in eminently respectable readings.............

There are clearly exceptions if the first version was, in some way, inadequate. By all means re-record the Malipiero symphonies or the Tournemire symphonies which Marco Polo issued but in, generally agreed, sub-standard recordings. Otherwise....... ???
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 08:49:03 pm »

Bit too much about Tournemire,so I've self moderated! ;D
The Atterberg & Raff cycles on Cpo & Tudor,respectively,have all garnered praise & enthusiasm from various admirers. Yes,it's nice & it is valuable to be able to hear a different interpretation of a symphony (or concerto,perhaps?) but when you can already hear the same work in a very good recording & another fine work in only ONE lousy,shoddily recorded version (Tournemire's Fourth has some wonderful orchestration,but.......oh dear?!! ::) :( :() I'm sorry,but it's just bloomin' annoying!!! >:( :(
Report Spam   Logged
suffolkcoastal
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 01:59:15 pm »

Yes there are many fine symphonists who have never had all of their symphonies recorded and why duplications of lesser known composers such as Atterberg are welcome, other composers are in dire ned of a complete symphonic cycle on disc.

I agree 110% about Rosenberg, a superb symphonist, then we have Daniel Jones, Alun Hoddinott, Roy Harris, David Diamond & Cipriani Potter just for starters.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2013, 02:07:27 am »

I should have added that BIS seem to be going down the same track as Chandos. If one looks at their monthly releases one sees more and more "core repertoire" featured.
Yes, there is the new Pickard Piano Concerto and the Aho Oboe Concerto but a new Dvorak "New World" ::)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2013, 02:06:47 pm »

A new,'New World'?!! :o At last!!!!! ;D
  Indeed! The new release schedules get more predictable by the month. Even before all this resurgence of interest in neglected composers really took off there was always something in the ad pages of the dearly departed Gramophone Magazine (the real one,not the glossy imposter!)to catch the eye. Of late,the only surprises seem to emerge from Cpo,Dutton,Timpani & to a lesser extent,Naxos! Meanwhile,a label like Albany seems to churn out second rate composers,I've never heard of & anything by Don Gillis or the Ohio Light Opera Company (even operetta fans don't think much of their recordings!). The only joy,for me,in recent months has been via long overdue reissues of emi-electrola recordings (about time emi! >:() & archive treasures rescued by Decca Eloquence,who seem to be hell bent on resuscitating the art of stylish cover art (love their cd designs!).
As much as I love Beethoven,Dvorak & the epoch making 'Symphonie Fantastique',I don't really buy IRR Magazine for that. Indeed,if I bought all the Beethoven,Dvorak,Mahler & 'Symphonie Fantastique's' the cd labels churn out I would have to move house!!! And now,as if that isn't enough,Chandos are issuing new recordings of Raff and Atterberg,which are already available in excellent recordings! I have looked at posts on other forums & people are saying,"Why would I want to buy this one? I'm very happy with the one I've got!" And most people think Jarvi is (sadly) way past his best!! No wonder Chandos removed their forum. Maybe it wasn't just the fruity SPAM,after all! (They didn't even bother to respond to my emailed query!).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: