The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:41:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

And you think not clapping between movements is strict? :)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And you think not clapping between movements is strict? :)  (Read 826 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2011, 01:56:30 pm »

Concertgoers in Indonesia were forced to bathe in a lake and pray - and had their hair forcibly cut.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

t-p
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 08:42:43 pm »

I think that we are going through big changes. I think that we need to have more freedom at classical concerts.
I am changing my view here.

Classical music became too starch high class affair. While it will always be interest of minority of population it still needs to be more friendly.
In old times it was customary to walk around and talk (during opera or private concert). WE went all the way to absolute quiet when one can hardly breath.
I know how difficult it is to attract children to classical music after struggling for more than 30 years of teaching.

On the other hand I think many people develop more interest in classical music in their older years. A lot of my work aim is at developing this interest. I know some people like it, but in younger years have too much peer pressure.

I don't have any comments about people in Indonesia. Their interest of Rock music could be protest against oppressive government.

Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 10:03:29 am »

You're absolutely right, of course!

There is an unpleasant atmosphere of cultural "ownership" or tenure among a certain class of concertgoers, who believe this music is uniquely theirs - they determine when applause may be awarded, they determine how one should dress for the concert ("a sense of occasion", said one particular fogey), and they even believe that certain sections of the Royal Albert Hall arena promenade area are uniquely "theirs", and outsiders are unwelcome.  Yet these same numpties also believe it's jolly good fun to shout "heave-ho!" when the venue staff are moving the piano.  In short, they bring their public-school prefect mentality with them to concerts, and probably never shake off these juvenile mannerisms for their rest of their lives.

It's all affectation - no such concert manner was practiced in the earlier C19th or before. It arises from the times when an unschooled middle class first began to attend concerts, and believed they needed to be on their best behaviour in front of their masters ;)
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 11:47:02 am »

I am very familiar with affectations here. I think it is good to have quiet but if people feel like expressing themselves and supporting the artist it is ok to clap. I don't know why there is such a fetish about it.

Performers also got away with showmanship. Performance now becomes very boring affair often.
I feel that situation will change. Going to a concert should be entertaining too.

There should be some degree of audience participation (not a formal one). There is a degree of theatricality in performance.

In Italy audience would express their likes and dislikes loudly. Now people just vote with their pockets so to say and don't go to many concerts. One hardly hear about anyone expressing their opinion loudly. It is very sterile affair now.

Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 12:12:03 pm »

I don't know why there is such a fetish about it.

Yes, "fetish" is exactly the right word! :(

Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 01:50:47 am »

the last concert I attended of the Dallas Sym phony Orchestra... we were instructed not to clap between movements as it was being recorded.     they made the point very clear...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: