The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:24:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Franz Mixa (1902-1994), Austrian-born Icelandic Symphonist

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Franz Mixa (1902-1994), Austrian-born Icelandic Symphonist  (Read 1166 times)
kyjo
« on: January 21, 2013, 07:50:36 pm »

Franz Mixa is a very intriguing figure to say the least. Here's a fascinating biography of his life (translated from German Wikipedia):

Mixa studied at the Vienna Academy of Music in Eusebius Mandyczewski, Robert Heger, John Smith and Marx and graduated in 1927 from the bandmaster diploma. Next to it was in the season 1923/24 at the Vienna Volksoper as Solokorrepetitor and 1923-26 as Assistant Conductor of the Academic Orchestra Association operates. In 1929 he received his doctorate at the University of Vienna, after studying with Robert Lach, William Fischer, Guido Adler and the dissertation The clarinet in Mozart's time. On recommendation of Robert Heger 1929 Mixa went to Reykjavík to direct the music program in 1930 for the Millennium celebrations of the Icelandic Parliament (Althingi). He remained as director of music in Reykjavík, where he founded the Conservatory and the Musikverein, in between, he always returned to his homeland in 1938, finally coming back to Austria. First, he taught at the Karl-Franzens-University Graz music theory and directed the opera school at the Styrian Provincial Conservatory. After he joined the Nazi Party in 1932, [1] he held from 1938 to 1943, the country's leadership of the Reich Music Chamber Gau Steiermark. Then he was drafted into the army and became a prisoner of war in 1945 in French. After his release in 1947 he built the State Conservatory in 1952-57 and became its director. There he met his second wife, Hertha Topper, know, in 1949 they married and had subsequently joint concert appearances. Through its commitment to the Bavarian State Opera both moved to Munich, where he lived as a freelance composer. 1971-73 he also worked at the University for Music in Munich. He was interred in the Forest Cemetery in Munich Solln.

Mixa's compositions include five symphonies (of which 2, 3 and 5 have been recorded), an Oratorio Sonnengesang (1945-46), Deutsche Messe (1949), an Icelandic Rhapsody for orchestra (1949-50, recorded), a Meditative Fanatsy Tritonus diabolus domitus for orchestra (recorded), Music on Icelandic Folk Songs for orchestra (recorded), Little Symphonic Music (1949), two operas: Eyvind und sein Weib (1937-39) and Der Traum ein Leben (1963) and a String Quartet (1924).

To their eternal credit, Antes has taken up Mixa's cause by releasing these two very fine discs of his orchestral music:

These recordings have probably slipped under the radars of even the most passionate collectors of obscure music, so that's why I am bringing them up. Mixa's music is unmistakably Nordic in its rugged, brooding power. It also has a strong neo-romantic vein running through it. Fans of Sibelius, Nielsen, Holmboe, Koppel, Bentzon, Pettersson, Saeverud, Haug, Soderlind, Leifs, Aho, Englund, Kokkonen and Sallinen (of whom there are many on this site) will no doubt admire Mixa's stern, gritty but wholly accessible tonal language. I'm surprised Colin hasn't ever mentioned Mixa-his music would definitely be right up his alley ;D

Read favorable reviews here:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2008/Oct08/Mixa_BMCD319252.htm
http://recordsinternational.com/catalogue.php?search=mixa
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/albumList.jsp?name_id1=160378&name_role1=1&bcorder=1

I wonder.......what is it with the elemental power of Icelandic music? Those who know the music of Jon Leifs will certainly be wondering the same thing. I definitely need to investigate more Icelandic music if all of it as good as Leifs or Mixa ;D

:)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

shamus
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:22:09 am »

Thank you, Kyle for bringing Mixa up, I had caught a couple of pieces on Czech radio awhile ago, but didn't know they were on CD, so I was happy to find them on Amazon, mp3s I can usually afford, so I will be listening to the symphonies tonight, with much pleasure. Don't ever stop digging, you keep finding treasure! Jim
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 12:40:24 am »

I'm sure you'll enjoy Mixa's symphonies, Jim! Granitic, powerful works tempered by a dark neo-romanticism that will most likely appeal to your tastes :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:44:22 am »

Oh no ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 03:46:27 am »

;D ;D

Please do investigate Mixa's music, Colin-you'll be in for a real treat if you do!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 03:53:08 am »

When I emerge from copying and cataloguing all the music downloaded over the last three days from here, from classical-music-online.net and from You Tube.............I shall investigate ;D
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:07:14 am »

No hurry, Colin! Please report back once you have listened to some of Mixa's music!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 04:14:44 am »

I do have other things going on in my life you know ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 12:35:21 pm »

Oh no ::) ;D

Taking my words out of my mouth.  :-X
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
guest145
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 02:31:54 pm »

Completely unfamiliar to me!  :-[

Sounds like my cup of tea, though -- I'll have to explore. Thanks for bringing him to our attention!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 04:21:53 pm »

Glad to see so much interest in Mixa! Again, I cannot recommend his music highly enough to those who enjoy those dark, tonal symphonies of the 20th century :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: