The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:29:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Is Toccata Classics still planning to do a RO Morris series?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Toccata Classics still planning to do a RO Morris series?  (Read 668 times)
kyjo
« on: January 22, 2013, 05:07:15 am »

There has been some talk of Toccata Classics embarking on a series of the orchestral music of the English composer R(eginald) O(wen) Morris (1886-1948). Michael Herman's Discography, for one, mentions that recordings of the Sinfonia in C major (1929) and Symphony in D major (1933) are "in preparation". Morris also composed other works, such as a Violin Concerto and a Concerto Piccolo for two violins and strings.

The performers would be the Uralsk Philharmonic Orchestra under Gary Brain, apparently. Gary Brain is a fine and adventurous conductor who has recorded the complete orchestral music of Czeslaw Marek, a recording of Ippolitov-Ivanov's Symphony no. 1 and other orchestral works, a disc of Harold Truscott's orchestral works (including his Symphony in E) and a disc of Henri Collet's concertos. He has, apparently, conducted the Symphony in G minor of Danish composer Leif Solberg which I would love to hear. I'm just not so sure about what an obscure Russian orchestra could do with British music :-\

Whatever the case, I would love to hear the music of the teacher of such distinguished composers as Rubbra, Finzi, Tippett, Lambert, Milford, Milner and Stevens and was wondering if anyone had any updates on the status of this proposed series. Any further info would be greatly appreciated :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 05:13:37 am »

I wrote to Martin Anderson about this about a year ago.

The answer I got was that the performances were just not good enough, in Martin's opinion, to issue on cd..........although he did say he would have another listen to them.
Since there has been no further word I very much doubt that they will ever see the light of day :( :( :(
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 05:17:42 am »

A real shame :( :(

I wasn't expecting much when I read that the orchestra would be the Uralsk PO. I mean, really?

Another big disappointment was the abortion of a proposed series from Sterling of the orchestral music (which includes four symphonies!) of the Norwegian late-romantic composer Johannes Haarklou (1847-1925) :( :(

Aw.....why do I have to put myself in a sullen mood right before bed? ::)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 01:41:51 pm »

Cheer up,kyjo! At least he wasn't referring to the music,itself!!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:16:36 pm »

True......but I wonder when the next opportunity will be for us to hear the music? Ah, I should stop being so ungrateful-Toccata is a wonderful company :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 05:20:13 pm »

I must admit I experience an involuntary shudder when I hear that a record label is going to record a neglected composer,or work,using an east european orchestra. Of course,there are exceptions & they are better than they were;but when I read that Cameo Classics were planning to record 'major' works by Holbrooke,my reaction was like,"Oh g*d,please don't!!" :o :( I remember Naxos did enough damage to Brian's reputation to last a lifetime,with their sloppy,poorly recorded efforts. Thank goodness for Dutton & Toccata who are doing something to repair the damage & remind people that Brian was actually a truly worthwhile composer.  Mind you,credit where it's due;the choirs on the 'Gothic' were absolutely fantastic! One area in which they really do excel!!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 05:40:48 pm »

I agree with everything in your post, cilgwyn :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 05:41:08 pm »

The word "on the street" is that the Havergal Brian Symphonies Nos. 22-24 coming from Naxos and played by a Russian orchestra are superb :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 05:46:49 pm »

The word "on the street" is that the Havergal Brian Symphonies Nos. 22-24 coming from Naxos and played by a Russian orchestra are superb :)
I'll just get nearer the fire!! ;D
I'll take your word for it,Dundonnell;but it won't be a pre-order! I must admit Naxos aren't one of my favourite labels,although,I respect what they do! There have been too many disappointments from that stable,for my liking! :(
Now if it was Dutton,or Cpo (If only!) I WOULD be celebrating!! :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 05:48:15 pm »

Excellent! I really shouldn't stereotype all Russian orchestras as being subpar, even though many of them are!

Speaking of subpar orchestras, how about that Minsk PO in their recording of Victor Bendix's four symphonies on Danacord? Ouch! I really hope Dacapo or someone records them in better performances (with a rich string sound which the Belorussian orchestra severely lacks)-in the right hands these works could become highly enjoyable late-romantic fare :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 05:51:12 pm »

My info' comes second-hand from the Secretary of the HB Society and another impeccable source who have heard the tapes.........so cease the pessimism ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 06:23:02 pm »

My info' comes second-hand from the Secretary of the HB Society and another impeccable source who have heard the tapes.........so cease the pessimism ;D
If you insist! ;D I notice that some people  (on the GMG) have been complaining about the recording balance on the (Brian) Dutton cd of the Violin Concerto & that one sounded allright to me!
So that's another pre-order then!! ;D

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 06:27:54 pm »

Excellent! I really shouldn't stereotype all Russian orchestras as being subpar, even though many of them are!

Speaking of subpar orchestras, how about that Minsk PO in their recording of Victor Bendix's four symphonies on Danacord? Ouch! I really hope Dacapo or someone records them in better performances (with a rich string sound which the Belorussian orchestra severely lacks)-in the right hands these works could become highly enjoyable late-romantic fare :)
Yes,they're not the only ones. Come to think of it,my Danacord cd of Louis Glass symphonies was appalling! Boxy sound & an orchestra like an old wind up gramophone. I'm not sure if I'd rate Louis Glass that highly,but he deserves better!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 07:22:16 pm »

I agree with everything in your post, cilgwyn :)
kyjo agrees with everything I said,do you hear that Dundonell?!! ;D
Marco Polo's Tournemire & Danacord's Louis Glass are a case in point. The performances seem to chug along like an arthritic steam locomotive & the recording quality (or lack of it) doesn't help! I personally,think Tournemire's symphonies are very impressive,often extremely original creations (No's 3,6 & 7,for example) & have yet to achieve the recognition they deserve. Luckily the Auvidis Valois performances are a bit better! But just think of what Chandos have done for D'indy?!! A crummy performance just doesn't help a neglected composers cause & I think it's great that there are discerning people like Martin Anderson who are prepared to say,"No,sorry,this just isn't good enough!" I'm glad I'm not a member of the Uralsk PO,though! Presumably,MA was nice & polite? I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings,myself. I'd say "Erm,well,it was quite good,really........I mean,I HAVE heard allot worse,and by the way,they were an East European orchestra too;by sheer coincidence,of course............" :o :(

By the way,I'd like to hear the RO Morris symphony,too!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 07:55:07 pm »

I agree-the symphonies of Louis Glass and Tournemire cry out for professional recordings as well! They are strong late-romantic works that would have a lot of potential if given professional recordings :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: