The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:35:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Manon

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Manon  (Read 405 times)
Milly Jones
« on: May 08, 2009, 10:08:25 pm »

Has anyone watched Manon this evening?  It was performed by the Royal Ballet, starring Carlos Acosta.  The ballet was choreographed by Kenneth MacMillan and the music is by Massenet. The performance was superb, full of passion and the usual Royal Ballet excellence.  With regard to Massenet's music, I have never seen the opera or any of his other ballets.  Can anyone recommend any recordings of particular interest?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest2
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 02:58:36 am »

Thanks for the recommendation Milly, I will definitely look out for a repeat of that program! Incidentally - I was going to add that the last time I went to see a live ballet Ronald Pickup was one of the principal dancers, but having looked up his biography on Wikipedia I find no mention of an early career in ballet. Is my memory playing tricks?

I do enjoy Massenet's later - post 1900 - music, and there are so many good songs. A television biography was broadcast a few years ago; it was rather good on the composer's early life as I recall, and there was something very moving about it, but again I cannot remember the details!
Report Spam   Logged
Lord Gusto
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 04:24:50 am »

Milly, I missed this evenings broadcast on TV, but I have just finished watching it  on the I player thing, which I must say I enjoyed very much, I will even inform Lady Gusto in the morning that this is something she should see.

With regard to recordings of Massenet, I have very few, except for some operatic works, but to recommend one would be difficult.   My entire collection of music is many of the same works by several conductors and Orchestra, and this has been part of my enjoyment over the years, compairing the performances. However from watching tonight, Ballet is something that I should attend more.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:39:27 am »

Subsequently to reading of member Milly's enthusiasm I found a recording of this Royal Ballet performance floating around the Internet - strangely enough it comes with Japanese sub-titles. And this week I have been watching a DVD of Puccini's - not Massenet's - Manon, as a sort of preparatory act before leaping into the ballet. Why I wonder do I enjoy Puccini but find Wagner so tedious?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: