The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:58:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

William Bolcom(1938-)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William Bolcom(1938-)  (Read 208 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:34:21 am »

Question for our American friends :)

When we talk about prominent living American composers (like Corigliano or Rouse or Harbison) why do we seem always to forget about William Bolcom: 75 this year and composer of eight symphonies, three of them on cd (although, I admit, I haven't listened to them for ages) ???

I ask because I have just listened to a download of his Piano Concerto...........completely forgetting that it is sitting on my cd shelves ::)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kyjo
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 02:56:57 am »

Bolcom's music can often be wildly eclectic, with elements of jazz, ragtime, neoclassicism and neoromanticism present, sometimes even at the same time. In the right hands, his music can be great fun. I haven't listened to that much of his music, but my favorites so far are his Symphony no. 3 and his masterpiece and magnum opus, Songs of Innocence and Inexperience, which are among his more "serious" works. Definitely check him out further!
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 01:51:06 pm »

Question for our American friends Smiley

When we talk about prominent living American composers (like Corigliano or Rouse or Harbison) why do we seem always to forget about William Bolcom: 75 this year and composer of eight symphonies, three of them on cd (although, I admit, I haven't listened to them for ages) Huh

I ask because I have just listened to a download of his Piano Concerto...........completely forgetting that it is sitting on my cd shelves Roll Eyes

Well... I find I very rarely listen to his symphonic music, even though I have several works on my shelves, because he's not very memorable, at least to me. I don't dislike his music, but I just find myself very apathetic about it.

However... I can't begin to heap superlatives on his piano rag "Graceful Ghost." This is about as memorable as anything gets, and while quite conservative harmonically, it's a wonderful "modern" take on the ragtime piano music of the turn of the 20th Century. Wistful, gentle, lovely -- perhaps I could say delicately profound.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: