The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:49:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Patrick Hadley

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patrick Hadley  (Read 1043 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:15:09 pm »

"Trees" has many beauties and a pastoralist dimension to it, I suppose, - but on the whole I find it more chilling, haunted, and relentless, than simply "gorgeous".

Have you heard Hadley's other major work "The Hills", Kyjo (reissued on CD by EMI)?  I haven't, but wonder how it compares in quality (and qualities) to "Trees".
Aha! Someone did mention it! I bought The Hills recently. I loved it! Having said that,it's a tad more conventional than 'The Trees so High',which is the one that really stays in your mind afterwards! No need for it to languish in the shadows,though. Judged on it's own merits it's a fine piece  and more upbeat in mood than 'The Trees'. Indeed,lovers of Delius in 'mountain mode' might enjoy this one! I think I'll have another listen later! The performance,I should add,is very good. To think emi recorded stuff like this..... once upon a time!! :o ;D
John France has a long and very enthusiastic article about it on Musicweb which some members will no doubt have read already ;D :

http://www.musicweb-international.com/hadley/hills.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: