The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:48:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Patrick Hadley

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patrick Hadley  (Read 1035 times)
Clambert
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2013, 09:25:59 am »

Rare broadcast of Patrick Hadley's "Kinder Scout" R3  afternoon of Tue 15 Jan. Do hope someone can record it? (I'm temporarily unable to.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 04:10:52 pm »

I have recorded it - it will be in the archive later this evening.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 07:51:57 pm »

Fantastic, John! Hadley's Choral Ballad The Trees So High is truly a gorgeous piece of English pastoralist late-romanticism. It, along with other choral/orchestral works by Hadley and Sainton, is on this must-buy Chandos 2-disc set:

:)
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 11:31:45 pm »

"Trees" has many beauties and a pastoralist dimension to it, I suppose, - but on the whole I find it more chilling, haunted, and relentless, than simply "gorgeous".

Have you heard Hadley's other major work "The Hills", Kyjo (reissued on CD by EMI)?  I haven't, but wonder how it compares in quality (and qualities) to "Trees".
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 11:34:40 pm »

I haven't heard The Trees So High for quite a while now so my description isn't entirely accurate, I suppose. No, I have not heard The Hills-I'll have to look into it! The EMI CD which it is on seems to be OOP in the US, though :(
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 11:45:14 pm »

The "Hills" recording is available pretty cheap ($16) on US Amazon  in a 5CD compilation together with works by Delius & Howells.  Do a search "Delius Howells Hadley" and you can view it.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 11:54:26 pm »

Thanks for the info :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest2
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 12:12:32 am »

on the whole I find it more chilling, haunted, and relentless, than simply "gorgeous".

Like "Tapiola" is it?
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 12:19:03 am »

The words "chilling, haunting and restless" certainly do describe Tapiola ;D

The Trees So High, while not bearing striking similarities to Tapiola, does have a certain Sibelian quality at times in its evocativeness of nature :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 02:15:09 pm »

"Trees" has many beauties and a pastoralist dimension to it, I suppose, - but on the whole I find it more chilling, haunted, and relentless, than simply "gorgeous".

Have you heard Hadley's other major work "The Hills", Kyjo (reissued on CD by EMI)?  I haven't, but wonder how it compares in quality (and qualities) to "Trees".
Aha! Someone did mention it! I bought The Hills recently. I loved it! Having said that,it's a tad more conventional than 'The Trees so High',which is the one that really stays in your mind afterwards! No need for it to languish in the shadows,though. Judged on it's own merits it's a fine piece  and more upbeat in mood than 'The Trees'. Indeed,lovers of Delius in 'mountain mode' might enjoy this one! I think I'll have another listen later! The performance,I should add,is very good. To think emi recorded stuff like this..... once upon a time!! :o ;D
John France has a long and very enthusiastic article about it on Musicweb which some members will no doubt have read already ;D :

http://www.musicweb-international.com/hadley/hills.htm
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 10:23:15 pm »

'Fen and Flood' is also rather good, available on the same disc as VW's 'The Garden of Proserpine'. 'Connemara' is the one that awaits a recording. I have to say 'The Trees so High' is my favourite: I never tire of it, especially one moment in the final movement which sounds like one has been struck by electricity and excitement.

I think 'Trees' also belies the oft-stated belief that folk song is not susceptible of symphonic development or that once you've played a folk song all you can do is play it again louder.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: