The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:50:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Why are German orchestras so magnificent?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are German orchestras so magnificent?  (Read 217 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2013, 08:15:35 pm »

I write as a Scot and a citizen of the United Kingdom :)

I have been watching quite a few You Tube videos recently featuring famous German orchestras and that has led me to reflect-for the umpteenth time over the years-on just how glorious so many German orchestras actually are.

This is by no means-obviously-an original observation ;D but when one reflects on the magnificence of the sound quality produced by the Berlin Philharmonic, the Berlin Staatskapelle, the Deutsches Symphonie Orchestra, the Leipzig Gewandhaus, the Dresden Staatskapelle, the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra and the other radio orchestras in Frankfurt, Cologne, Hamburg, not to mention the various other German orchestras it all amounts to an incredible quantity of absolutely first-rate orchestras. Extremely disciplined...yes, but so too are the New York Philharmonic, the Boston Symphony, the Philadelphia, the Chicago Symphony, the Los Angeles Philharmonic.

Maybe I am just a Germanophile....but when I hear a German orchestra with its rich string tone and such glorious brass-playing in music by the great 19th century composers I am invariably lost for words ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kyjo
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 08:24:37 pm »

I agree heartily with you, Colin! What really makes it for me is the gloriously rich string tone, which is a key feature in first-rank orchestras. Let us not forget the Vienna Philharmonic, which is, along with the Berlin Philharmonic, my very favorite orchestra :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: